A great tipfor you Stax SR202/303 and 404 owners
Aug 30, 2003 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ServinginEcuador

Founder of the Head-Fi Pay-to-Post Program.
Well, after a day of being driven nuts by the creaking noises coming from the cheap plastic frame of the SR404s, I started thinking about how to reduce these noises. It seems that the slightest movement of my head, any movement of the cord, eating, etc. all elicited a huge cacophony of noises. Well, here's the solution:

**DISCLAIMER** - do this at your own risk! If you aren't good atcontrolling shaking in your hands or the amount of pressure exerted by them, don't continue until you have found someone who does to help you. This is not particularly dangerous, but a big mistake could result in some unusable headphones until you can get rid of the oil. ***

PREPARATIONS - geta bottle of oil that has a dropper like end that will allow a single, easily controlled drop of oil to be dripped at a time. Get at least 1-2 tissues on hand for cquick clean-up.

PROCEDURE - Very, very, very carefully take a bottle of oil like 3-n-1 type oil and using the dropper drop one single drop of oil directly onto one joint at a time where the plastic pieces join and move. After placing the drop use a tissue or something absorbent and wipe off any excess before it gets down into the stator area where it could fry your drivers. Before moving onto the next joint make sure to work the oil into the current joint by taking it thru its full range of movement for a good 20-30 seconds first. Repeat this procedure for all six joints where plastic meets plastic. When it is all said and done, put the cans back on your head and be prepared for a squeek free listening session.

RESULTS - so far, a dead silent pair of Stax headphones with no hint of squeeing like an old wooden floor. It has transformed my listening sessions so far by removing the one big hindrance to the normally enjoyable sound.

I'll report back in when I find out how long the treatment lasts.

Aug 31, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by FalconP
That plastic frame is the only complain I have against Stax. While other users have found the frame sturdy enough, the limbs of my set did break after 3 or 4 years -- perhaps that's because I have a fairly big head that has put the frame under quite a bit of tension...

1. Not to sound rude, but what do you want, Australian Jarrah-Jarrah wood? I personally think that while Staxs come off as expensive for the raw materials you get, the various purposes of each part are relatively well-served by what's used. I mean, considering the design, what else could be used that retains the feather-weight lightness? Sure, you could go Grado and make it metal, but that would make it heavier...lest you use titanium, which might increase the price a touch.

I know my non-squeak 404's also have that neato, thicker "squishiness" to the headstrap now, where my 303's only had that thin, flat piece of faux leather.

Speaking of leather, Stax really ought to leathrify the earpads and headstrap...if for nothing else, to make up for the cheapiness of the plastic frame and transducer housings. The difference for them wholesale would be two bucks, tops.

2. You could always mod your head. Maybe some graded rectangular indents...

- Sir Mister Matt

p.s. so what did you have to do when the thing broke? Buy a whole new set, or just have Stax send you a new frame?

Aug 31, 2003 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt

p.s. so what did you have to do when the thing broke? Buy a whole new set, or just have Stax send you a new frame?

Fortunately it was nothing that some instant glue and strong adhersive tapes couldn't fix.

The dealer said they could sent the set back to Stax for another frame, but right now there is no need.

Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
1. Not to sound rude, but what do you want, Australian Jarrah-Jarrah wood? I personally think that while Staxs come off as expensive for the raw materials you get, the various purposes of each part are relatively well-served by what's used. I mean, considering the design, what else could be used that retains the feather-weight lightness? Sure, you could go Grado and make it metal, but that would make it heavier...lest you use titanium, which might increase the price a touch.

Right now I'm looking at my pair of spectacles, which has endured my head-size for quite some years -- without giving way or breaking. I don't know exactly what kind of metal it is made of, surely not something very heavy or expensive.

No I don't ask for super-exotic material from Stax, just something stronger. I;d rather have a few more grams on my head, but of course everyone has his own perferences.

Aug 31, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

I'd rather have a few more grams on my head, but of course everyone has his own perferences.

I prefer the lightness...different strokes for different folks, I suppose. Good to hear you were able to fix it. Model airplane epoxy (the two-part kind) is great stuff, too. Murders superglue for versatility and cosmetic suitability.

- Sir Mister Matt

Jan 20, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 20
i noticed a bit of squeaking when I'm listening to my 404s. how long is this mod good for?

any changes that you would recommend, like a different lubricant?

i don't want to damage these babies!

toodles.

Jan 20, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

No I don't ask for super-exotic material from Stax, just something stronger. I;d rather have a few more grams on my head, but of course everyone has his own perferences.

I haven't yet gotten my 404's, so I don't know if they changed the material. Many people think that Stax's choice of material is "questionable", but trust me. My Lambda's are, IIRC, now 16 years old. These things just don't break - the material, plastic, is somehow the strongest plastic I've ever personally seen and worked with. I think that it may be structrually enhanced with fiber or something, or at the least extemely lightweight but very, very dense castings. They just don't break.

Trust me on this - unless they changed something you have absolutely almost nothing to worry about. My A-T's fell apart, made out of metal and plastics, and parts broke but nothing, not one thing structural, on the Stax has ever failed. Nothing. Not even the adhesives which hold the earpads on. These things seem totally bulletproof structure wise, absolute tanks. Which is nice considering their cost
lambda.gif

Jan 20, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Snake
I haven't yet gotten my 404's, so I don't know if they changed the material. Many people think that Stax's choice of material is "questionable", but trust me. My Lambda's are, IIRC, now 16 years old. These things just don't break - the material, plastic, is somehow the strongest plastic I've ever personally seen and worked with. I think that it may be structrually enhanced with fiber or something, or at the least extemely lightweight but very, very dense castings. They just don't break.

Trust me on this - unless they changed something you have absolutely almost nothing to worry about. My A-T's fell apart, made out of metal and plastics, and parts broke but nothing, not one thing structural, on the Stax has ever failed. Nothing. Not even the adhesives which hold the earpads on. These things seem totally bulletproof structure wise, absolute tanks. Which is nice considering their cost
lambda.gif

Have to agree with that, I just got an sr-omega 1 and there about 11 years old and they look perfect and have never been in the shop.

Jan 20, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 20
versions have non-sqeaking joints. Just a fact of life with last year's crop and before. My 303's did that.

- Matt

Jan 20, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by tomek
i noticed a bit of squeaking when I'm listening to my 404s. how long is this mod good for?

any changes that you would recommend, like a different lubricant?

i don't want to damage these babies!

toodles.

Tomek,

So far I am at 5 months and the squeeking hasn't returned yet, so it would seem that it lasts a lpretty long time with a single drop of oil. I haven't tried anythign different since this one worked perfectly and is still working fine for me.

Jan 20, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Tomek,

So far I am at 5 months and the squeeking hasn't returned yet, so it would seem that it lasts a lpretty long time with a single drop of oil. I haven't tried anythign different since this one worked perfectly and is still working fine for me.

If I get the squeakies I figure a drop or two of silicone oil should work, well, almost forever. I have some left over from my Arai helmets. If you are doing the mod maybe try silicone - lasts a long time.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 20
BUMP - no one has tried this yet?

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by OriginalReaper
I'll try it if you get me a pair

LOL. Maybe you can borrow Matt's pair and try it.
icon10.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #14 of 20
Gee, I really hate to rub it in, but I purchased my pair from AudioCubes a few months ago and even though I haven't been able to use them (*still* waiting for KGSS from Antness, have no other amp), one of the best features of these "new" 404's is that they are absolutely squeak-free! Stax has radically changed something...

I don't know what it is, but these cans feel especially solidly built over my previous 303's I had purchased May of 2002. Those squeaked like a lab full of mice. They must have heard the complaints and complied.

The whole body, tranducer housings, band, etc. all seem far more "integral" to one another than did the 303's. They have this solidity and firmness to their build which struck me, considering their plastic materials. For instance, you can flick one part and the other ones move in firm sympathy...however, when on your head, this translates to a strong reduction in transmitted vibrations.

All in all, no tweaks needed here.

When did you get yours, and were they fresh off the boat, or older ones?

- Sir Mister Matt

Apr 25, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 20
Sir Mister Matt,

I got mine used, so I have no idea how old they are. I'll have to ask the seller if he knows. Either way, I'm glad to hear that yours don't have any problems with sqeaking and that they appear to be better built than the older ones. Might be a good reason to sell off these and get a brand new pair from Koji to see how much different they are. It could also be that yours are just new and need some time to wear some before the friction starts. If so, just come back to this thread and get rid of the sqeahs forever.

Sorry to hear you still haven't gotten the KGSS yet. A real bummer. If the Blue Hawaiian power supply is anywhere near what Denis' choke mods to the regular KGSS power supply are you are in for a realy treat. It really taems the highs and gives the 404s a more natural sound with plenty of punch to the bass and instruments. Denis reported that the choke mod rid the 404s of their characteristic metallic sound for the first time, so that is very encouraging indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back