A great tip I discovered for ramen noodles
Nov 3, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #31 of 44
I boil the hell out of a pot of water, throw the noodles in and let enough water boil off to where there's not too much leftover. I prefer Pasta to be cooked al dente, not ramen.

Then I add A1 Steak Sauce, Peter Luger's, a few hot sauces, and Tobasco. Lately, I've tried using cheap beer (Schaeffer, Schlitz, PBR, etc.) as the starter instead of water and found it to be rather amazing. Be careful when boiling though, as it tends to boil over really high at one point, and that's when I throw the noodles in.

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #32 of 44
Here's some other tips:

Besides the usual Asian and American brand ramen noodles, if you go to a Mexican or Latin American grocery store in the U.S. or in Mexico, you will find spicy Mexican flavor ramen noodles which can be flavored with shrimp and lime. I saw the ones that come in a cup and you just add hot water or microwave.

Also, theres an Indian grocery store near me that sells Indian flavored ramen noodles like curry ramen and they are fantastic. They might be available in your local Indian store. For Indian ramen, add less water so it resembles a noodle dish rather than a noodle soup. I garnish with chopped peanuts.

For the hot and spicy Asian ramen, I like to add pieces of catfish and it is excellent. I'm thinking about adding pieces of lobster too for the spicy flavored ramen and possibly some clams as well. Should be amazing I predict.

basshead.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Korean, try Shin Ramen. I think it could be found in many stores. It's packaging is red and theres a big chinese symbol on it. Oh and its spelled ramyun so what out for that.

Great stuff. Stumbled upon this thread last night and nuked myself a bowl..Was deelish!

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great stuff. Stumbled upon this thread last night and nuked myself a bowl..Was deelish!

Microwaved ramen is one of the great marvels of man because here you have a package on a shelf, then add water and push a button. Voila- you have an instant great hot steaming plate of food. It's like a miracle actually. I enjoy it for weeks and weeks and i never get tired of it.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #35 of 44
Curry flavoured Maggi noodles are good. They are usually found in Indian stores. Usually a bit more expensive than the regular stuff at Oriental shops though.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #36 of 44
Maggi ramen here in spain is horrible, i buy this stuff they bring from hong kong called "kong fu" comes in prawn, spicy beef or chicken flavours,

and yes, i add chilli, some soy sause, some chopped hot dogs, even tuna at some times, but the most EVIL discovery i made is that most packaged ramen comes PRECOOKED, the nuddles are fried in palm oil and then freeze dried, so basicly, ramen is consumable without boiling it in case of emergency, i´ve done it, its not pretty but it fills the stomach,

anyone here tried to steam ramen with some veggies and meat ?

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #37 of 44
I avoid getting too much msg, by using half of the powder in the bag and just add a little soy sauce. Pork and green onion really kick it up a notch if you want to go through the trouble.

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #38 of 44
hmm.. just whipped myself a bowl of some "ottugi" korean style ramen. I think the egg i put in it helped control the spiciness. do you guys nuke your bowl ramens in the styrofoam bowls? Heard that's bad..

Nov 4, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #40 of 44
for clarity, you're putting the ramen in cold water and then microwaving for 4 mins, eh?

i use a dif method and usually start with boiling water but thats a pain in the ass, so i'd be happy to replace it with cold water

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curry flavoured Maggi noodles are good. They are usually found in Indian stores. Usually a bit more expensive than the regular stuff at Oriental shops though.

Oh yes!! Indian Maggi is the best. I usually fill a suitcase half full of them everytime I come back from India.

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for clarity, you're putting the ramen in cold water and then microwaving for 4 mins, eh?

Yes, cold water. That's it. 4 minutes is perfect but of course, your microwave may vary. After 4 minutes, the noodles will be slightly crunchy but will soften up as you stir it with your fork or chopstick.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes!! Indian Maggi is the best. I usually fill a suitcase half full of them everytime I come back from India.

It's produced by Nestle, yet only findable in indian stores? I'll have to hunt this down lol

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's produced by Nestle, yet only findable in indian stores? I'll have to hunt this down lol

Indian stores or even some Middle-East shops. I prefer the Indian shops though because most Middle East shops I've been to have a meat cutting facility in the back which causes the whole store to smell.
frown.gif

OT: Also at some Indian shops...I like the Swad Mix ("Hot Piquant" variant). Not really all that spicy but I like it all the same. But my current Indian shop of choice doesn't carry it! Noo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back