A great band I hope someone could try out: Madrugada
Mar 4, 2005 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JensL

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry, but I just felt a sudden urge to put down some nice words about a great norwegian rock band.

They're called Madrugada.

They sing in english, make great music, and I can't see why they shouldn't be liked in other parts of the world. So I hope some of you good people could listen to a few tracks, and tell us what you think.

Who/what do they sound like?

Well, my first impression was Nick Cave meets Chris Isaak with a touch of punk and The Doors. :)

The lead singer has an amazing voice. Dark, fullbodied and dripping with emotion. Sometimes rough, angry and punkish, and sometimes smooth, tender, bluesy and sad. A voice with a great character.

AllMusic says these are similar artist:
- Chi (never heard of them)
- R.E.M. (Hmm...not too similar, I think)
- Midnight Choir (haven't heard much with these guys)
- Chris Isaak (I agree, but Chris' voice is brighter)

Here's their website:
http://www.emi.no/madrugada/
Check out the fansites too, some are very good.

Please try out "The kids are on high street" and "Majesty" in the Audio/Video section. Those are great songs.

I hope somebody gives them a chance, I'm really curious what other thinks of them.

Mar 4, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 11
Hi Jens

I actually found "The kids are on high street" to be very REM inspired... Not heard anything else from their new album. Their earlier works are not typical REM though.

I really think I'll have to catch their concert in April.

Knut

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by enemigo
I actually found "The kids are on high street" to be very REM inspired... Not heard anything else from their new album. Their earlier works are not typical REM though.

Yeah, there's definitely some R.E.M. in parts of that song. Only much better... :)
Sivert and Michael are quite different singers, maybe that's why I don't really see the connection.

Sometimes I hear some Coldplay-inspired stuff in there, and actually some Neil Young in the guitar-playing at times. Interesting mixture. :)

Let's hope someone give'em a chance.

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL
Let's hope someone give'em a chance.

I will (for one).
Thank you JensL, this kind of information is welcome here.

Mar 6, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I will (for one).
Thank you JensL, this kind of information is welcome here.

Great!
Let me know what you think of them.

What influences do you hear, and who would you compare them to?

Mar 7, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 11
Hey, these guys are pretty good! Any other similar music, without getting too close to the country side of things?

Feb 13, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 11
Ok, let's bump this one.

They deserve a bump mostly because Madrugadas lead singer sang a duet with a female artist over here, and they made a musicvideo where they both wear DT770s all the time.
The song is a big hit here in Norway (Ane Brun: "Lift Me").

Gotta dig having some Beyers in the spotlight. :)

Check out their website. You might find something you like...
And I'm a little curious what people in other parts of the world think of their music.

Feb 13, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 11
I like them, too. I had never heard of them until my brother-in-law, who is Dutch, gave me their CD's, 'Industrial Silence' and 'The Deep End.' Amazing stuff, actually, and quite hard to classify as they do so many things so well

I think you will like them if you like Elbow, Doves, Muse and the like.

FWIW, "madrugada" is Spanish for "dawn."
580smile.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #10 of 11
Nah, don't wanna call their music BritPop. Much more at home in the Rock-category.

Allmusic says this:
Genre: Rock
Styles: * Indie Rock
* Alternative Pop/ Rock

Similar Artists

* Chi
* R.E.M.
* Midnight Choir
* Chris Isaak

Influenced By

* Bruce Springsteen
* The Cramps
* Gun Club
* The Doors
* Leonard Cohen

Link:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...1:zu508qb9btb4

Try some of the tasters on their webpage.

"Majesty", "Strange Colour Blue" and "The Kids Are On High Street" should give you a good impression of their style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back