A Grado story - from hate to love
Apr 5, 2008 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lostspyder

100+ Head-Fier
So I've been avoiding Grado's since I've been into headphones - they were ugly, looked overpriced, ugly, seemed fanboyistic, known to be uncomfortable and ugly. Up to date, I've tried Senns, Beyers, AKGs, EQs and ATs, but only really liked ATH-AD's and DT880.

A few weeks ago, I had found a site that was selling refurbished SR60 for 50$ and citi gave me 20$, in "thank your rewards" to incite me to use a card that has been collecting dust, that I had to use in 5 days - so I figured I'd bite for some 30$ ugly and uncomfortable headphones. If I didn't like them, I could resell them and get my money back.

Wow - I'm impressed. After listing to them, I discovered that they are ugly, unjustifiably uncomfortable, but sound fantastic. So great sounding that I keep them on for 5 minutes or so after they give me a splitting headache from the fit and brightness. They have totally changed the way I listen to music. I now swap back and forth between my SR60 and dt880 as I listen. Plus, they make a fantastic portable phone - they fold down thin and because they look cheap already, I'm not afraid to scratch them. They are muddy and bright, but the sound signature makes up for it.

I like them so much that I'm considering moving up the Grado line and down the dt880ish line!

So, I decided to make a point here too - to anyone who is trying to find a headphone to mix things up, and haven't yet tried Grado's - You should pick up a pair right away!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 14
im the same, even tho its the number 1 that people have reccomended, its the one i want to try last, the overpricing and the possibility of discomfort worries me

i think it will be hfi 780 then sa5000, then 325i these are the 3 on my to try list

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 14
I have many pairs of headphones that sound good but are not part of my wardrobe. But then again that is not the point of this hobby, is it?
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 14
I can definitely relate to the OP. After fooling around with IEM's for over 2 years, and trying the standard repertoire of Senns/AKGs/Denons, I bought an SR60 and thoroughly enjoyed them. I am now also dangerously contemplating the RS1...
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh - RS1....
redface.gif

you're going to end up there anyways
wink.gif

Instead of spending money on SR225 and SR325is - go straight for good stuff
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait to get a pair of SR225.

Out of curiosity, do they stay incredibly uncomfortable even after dozens of listening hours? Hopefully they break in a little.
tongue.gif

My SR60s definitely broke in over time in terms of the headband loosening up and becoming less vise-like.

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #14 of 14
Yeah, my SR80s are my "mix it up" phones.
smily_headphones1.gif
They sound really good with rock of all sorts, and compared to my senns are actually non-fatiguing when listening to metal. I love their up-frontness.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back