A good upgrade from HRT Music Streamer Pro for under 1K?
Feb 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

xxlap1xx

New Head-Fier
Hello my head-fi'ers, I have a limited knowledge when it comes to dedicated DACs, so please excuse my random noobness when I said something dumb 
tongue.gif

First of all, I know this forum is about head cans, and I'm running bookshelf speakers instead. But this is like the only forum where I can find reviews on the DACs that I have interests with, so I thought I should give it a try 
tongue.gif

My current setup is PC -> MS-Pro -> Qinpu A6000 mini tube amp -> Ascend Sierra 1 with NRT upgrades. If anyone happens to have something similar to my setup, please shed me some lights!!

OK, so I'm looking to upgrade my MS-Pro, and have been lurking around a few threads here and there trying to find some comparisons between the MS-Pro and other non usb-powered DACs, but no luck so far.

After reading a few more threads, I've came across the Yulong D100 MKII, and the D18/U18 combo, both has excellent reviews and price/performance ratio. But does any one have any idea of how they are compared to the MS-Pro, and does it worth the upgrade? If yes, should I start off with the D100 MKII or go straight to the D18/U18 combo, and call it a day? What I'm thinking is that since I'll be using these devices for just pure DAC purpose, would my money be better spent if I go with the D18/U18 combo? (Since the D100 MKII is more like a hybrid of DAC and amp)

Any help would be appreciated, I'm also open for other suggestions other than the Yulongs.

Thanks!!

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlap1xx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]
OK, so I'm looking to upgrade my MS-Pro, and have been lurking around a few threads here and there trying to find some comparisons between the MS-Pro and other non usb-powered DACs, but no luck so far.
[...]

Since the MS Pro is audibly transparent, no other device can more more transparent. What do you want from an upgrade?

I have no experience with the product, but the CEntrance DACMini CX gets good reviews.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 5
When you say transparent, do you mean the sound is realistic, detailed, and picks up every little things from the source (sorry for noobing you xD)? I gotta say that the MS-Pro sounds very good, especially the highs, and the details are awesome too.

I think what I'm looking for is smoothness, non-harsh, kind of sound. Where the music can flow through your ear smoothly even at high volume. Don't get me wrong, the MS-Pro is actually doing a excellent job in these areas already, but I thought there are some DACs out there that can take it to the next level.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
When you say transparent, do you mean the sound is realistic, detailed, and picks up every little things from the source (sorry for noobing you xD)? I gotta say that the MS-Pro sounds very good, especially the highs, and the details are awesome too.

I like the last description you provided: transparent means "picks up every little thing from the source." Personally, I would have said: The DAC converts the digital audio to analog without altering the sound at all. The sound will realistic and detailed if the source audio is realistic and detailed.

I think what I'm looking for is smoothness, non-harsh, kind of sound. Where the music can flow through your ear smoothly even at high volume. Don't get me wrong, the MS-Pro is actually doing a excellent job in these areas already, but I thought there are some DACs out there that can take it to the next level.

What you seem to be describing is a DAC which smooths the rough edges of the audio -- IOW, it "colors" the sound.

If I don't misunderstand, and you really are looking for colored sound, you might consider using an equalizer with your MS-Pro. It's cheaper (but maybe not easier) to tweak EQ settings than replace a DAC or amp.

Final useless suggestion: maybe a different pair of headphones? When I look for smooth and non-harsh sound, I listen with my Sennheiser HD-650 which seems, to me, to provide "refined" and "polite" audio. They never seem harsh. (Still, my Grado SR325is now gets much more ear-time than the '650; I don't consider it polite, refined, or smooth. But I like it.)

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

I like the last description you provided: transparent means "picks up every little thing from the source." Personally, I would have said: The DAC converts the digital audio to analog without altering the sound at all. The sound will realistic and detailed if the source audio is realistic and detailed.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

What you seem to be describing is a DAC which smooths the rough edges of the audio -- IOW, it "colors" the sound.

If I don't misunderstand, and you really are looking for colored sound, you might consider using an equalizer with your MS-Pro. It's cheaper (but maybe not easier) to tweak EQ settings than replace a DAC or amp.

True, and actually I'm already playing with the EQ for a while (in foobar), and I couldn't go back to flat.

Final useless suggestion: maybe a different pair of headphones? When I look for smooth and non-harsh sound, I listen with my Sennheiser HD-650 which seems, to me, to provide "refined" and "polite" audio. They never seem harsh. (Still, my Grado SR325is now gets much more ear-time than the '650; I don't consider it polite, refined, or smooth. But I like it.)

It's not useless at all lol, any suggestion helps. The thing is that I'm actually running bookshelf speakers instead of headphones (don't flame me, I already stated in OP xD). Anyways, the thing is that my speakers are just a few weeks old, so I can't really consider another pair until a year or two later at least. Though, I do agree with you, because I think swapping speakers makes the most differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back