A good source to pair the IE8s with?
Dec 21, 2009 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ceekay84

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a better combo out there for pure SQ? Reason why I'm asking is that I currently have the Zune HD for my casual listening needs and use the Clip+ for workout. I pair them up with my ie8s. I know there are better DAPs out there like the Sony 638/639 and Cowon S9 in terms of SQ but is it really a factor if I listen to songs which are mostly 192k-256kbit range? With the Zune subscription costing me $14.99 a month, I'm beginning to realize the cost of owning a Zune. It's a great looking player but if I have in my hands one of the better IEMs, shouldn't it deserve a good source to play from? The SQ between the Clip+ and Zune, at least for me, is negligible. Am I missing out by not going with other players known for their SQ? I listen to all types of music if that helps. I play my sources unamped as well.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 4
Having not heard the Zune HD or Clip+ I can only recommend DAPs based on my preferences and what I've had experience with.

1 Sony X1060
Improved overall clarity, tonality and dynamics, Tames the bass a tad while maintaining good extension and PRAT. Treble extends to Infinity!! haha and the mids come across as very smooth with very good presence. The black airy nature surrounding instruments compliments the expansive soundstage of the IE8s very well and makes for a very open sounding presentation. Also the most organic and natural combo I've listened to. If you're not a neutral junkie then I'll heartily recommend this for the IE8.

2 Cowon S9 and S730/S630
These are good if you want less warmth from the IE8 and want a bit more energy in the treble. They have decent clarity and instrument separation and in the case of the S9 Huge spacious sound stage.I found the S730/630 to have a more natural sound with the IE8 than the cowon S9.

3 Touch 2G
Not much to mention here but the IE8 sounds rather balanced with it. Excellent sound staging and it doesn't sound as warm as the sony x1060 and A820/720 walkman. Not my most favourite DAP but they still match rather well with the IE8.

There are others but the above are what's most fresh in my memory.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 4
Now if bass is something I like, what is a good source to feed the ie8s?

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceekay84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now if bass is something I like, what is a good source to feed the ie8s?

Any of the sony players would be good. If you want more bass just enable Clear Bass and Cowon S9 with ViVa sound effects activated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back