A good, reasonably-price amp to pair with HD580s?
Jun 29, 2006 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

tedtropy

100+ Head-Fier
I recently acquired a pair of Sennheiser HD580s and the general consensus seems to be that they really open up when paired with a good amp? What sort of entry-point amps should I be considering? Thanks.

Jun 29, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 18
New: Meier Headfive

Don't think you can go wrong for the price as a first amp.

2nd amp for me paired with DT 880, Koss 35 pro and 55's. All are rockin' good time.

Used: Search the forums for your headphone model and see the various opinions of amp pairing with that style of phone. Check the used amps section for what you might be interested in.

The search is 1/2 the fun.
icon10.gif

Jun 29, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 18
Happily mated with the Meier Headfive for a smashingly good entry point into the high end! Personal experience here!

/And the H5 improves with better cans as I'm now experiencing with the Senns HD-650s.... So, as a choice the H5 has that upward potential in a system.

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 18
Shameless plug here, but I have a Corda HA-1 MKII that I used with my HD580's and it sounded excellent-- finally some good synergy goin' on! Alas, the HA-1 is up for sale here:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=186514

I'm not sure what the Headfive is going for, but if you're trying to stick to a budget and don't want to spend the extra on the Headfive, the HA-1 MKII mates very well with the 580's.

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Shameless plug here, but I have a Corda HA-1 MKII that I used with my HD580's and it sounded excellent-- finally some good synergy goin' on! Alas, the HA-1 is up for sale here:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=186514

I'm not sure what the Headfive is going for, but if you're trying to stick to a budget and don't want to spend the extra on the Headfive, the HA-1 MKII mates very well with the 580's.

I think that's my old amp... and an extra plug for the amp. It creates a wonderful sound with the Sennheisers. It also has a more exiting bass thant he Headfive.

Jun 30, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky14
Rega Ear

Don't buy a Rega EAR without listening to it first, it's not for all tastes. Personally, I hated it with the 580s.

Jun 30, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #15 of 18
Anything from the HeadRoom line. The Total Bithead would be great if your budget is real tight and you are going to use your computer as a source..........Otherwise the MicroAmp with Desktop module is killer. I always liked the way HeadRoom amps sounded with the 580's. When you get some extra cash, the Stefan Audio cable for the 580's makes a great upgrade for a great can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back