A good pair of headphones
Oct 6, 2012 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NineEleven

Head-Fier
Right now, 
I am between two : V-MODA M-80 or Shure SRH 840.

I am going to build a gaming PC by December hopefully. And I was getting a gaming headset but I am gonna buy a Zalman Clip Mic and a decent headphones like I wanted before. So I will use the Zalman Clip for gaming use and the headphones for gaming and music.

1) I'm not sure what Soundcard I need .
2) I listen mostly to Trance. Vocals are very important and I don't want too much bass, I just want the perfect amount, to get that thump.
3) This is the most important concept : Durable and reliable. I don't drop them much but cabeling is important aswell.
4) Comfy.
5) Tell me if I need an amp to get better music. Will not pay more than 50$
6) I listen to Metal and Rock and Reggae also sometimes but mostly trance.
7) Preferabbly low noise leakage.

So, I am looking for a durable headset with minmum sound leakage and I will be using this to play games and listen to Trance music so I need nice vocals and  a good thump (Not too much that it hurts my ear). Nice natural sound and the thump is needed for Reggae too. Regarding Metal and Rock I dont know. I want them to be comfy because I will be using them for hours. Tell me if I need an amp of some what for portable use and a decent soundcard.

Cheers and Thanks for reading :)

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #2 of 11
Hi NineEleven

I'm fairly new around here so please keep that in mind. That being said, I would not recommend the V-MODA M-80 as it is a supra-aural headphone. I myself am a frequent gamer, typically 3-5 hours at a time and I find on-ear headphones to be extremely discomforting when worn for extended periods.

As for whether or not you'd need an amp, the Shure SRH840s are relatively easy to drive but generally speaking, amps do tighten/improve certain areas (could be wrong here). However, in the sub $50 range, I suppose you could look at the Fiio brand which make nice "bang for buck" amps and DACs.

Hope this helps

James

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Hi NineEleven

I'm fairly new around here so please keep that in mind. That being said, I would not recommend the V-MODA M-80 as it is a supra-aural headphone. I myself am a frequent gamer, typically 3-5 hours at a time and I find on-ear headphones to be extremely discomforting when worn for extended periods.

As for whether or not you'd need an amp, the Shure SRH840s are relatively easy to drive but generally speaking, amps do tighten/improve certain areas (could be wrong here). However, in the sub $50 range, I suppose you could look at the Fiio brand which make nice "bang for buck" amps and DACs.

Hope this helps

James

Thanks do yo think the SRH 840's are the best match to me?

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 11
I would recommend the Shure SRH840 but it may be a little heavy, as some people find that it is.
Also, you could look at getting the Audio Technica ATH-M50, those headphones are always highly recommended, and looks great, espescially the White or the Limited Edition versions.

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 11
You don't need any special soundcard or anything with the 840s. The more power you feed them though, the smoother/fuller the treble becomes and the more the bass comes in.

You can find them for $140 occasionally on Amazon and to me they beat many headphones at $250+.

Noise leakage is extremely low. Durability is top notch with very hard thick materials and a good cable, but because of that, they are quite large and heavy. They have very comfortable soft ear pads but some people thing the headband "feels weird". In summary, most reviews come back as "perfect except they're too heavy!".

They felt fine to me but then again at 150 lbs I'm much buffer than most head fiers.

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #7 of 11
I liked them for trance as well. They are some of the flattest "electronica friendly" headphones I know of.
Most headphones are either flat/accurate and sound boring/dead with electronica, or sound great with electronica but are boomy and exaggerated for other genres. 
The Shures have a fairly flat frequency response but they have such great separation and extension that they still have the "wide" sound of something with scooped out mids.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH840.pdf

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I liked them for trance as well. They are some of the flattest "electronica friendly" headphones I know of.
Most headphones are either flat/accurate and sound boring/dead with electronica, or sound great with electronica but are boomy and exaggerated for other genres. 
The Shures have a fairly flat frequency response but they have such great separation and extension that they still have the "wide" sound of something with scooped out mids.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH840.pdf

Do you think I should get them or get the ATH-M50's or the Ultrasone. I'm not sure what to get. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back