a good pair of closed headphones < 150?
Aug 10, 2003 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stev0

New Head-Fier
as the title says.. i'm looking for something in that price range, preferably closed, or semi-closed.

i have considered the senn HD580's for quite some time but am just wondering if there is something better out there for the money.

mostly general usage, rock/metal/electronic/easy listening/some punk, games (cs, daoc) other random ones... they are going to replace my z560's and klipsch 5.1's when its late
smily_headphones1.gif

oh, no earplug style phones either btw.

thanks much
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2003 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 7
hd580s are nowhere near closed. For 150, I would suspect you could find used HFI-650s. I have not yet heard these phones, but I haven't read many complaints.

Aug 10, 2003 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 7
The HD580 is about as open as you can get. Scratch that off the list. I really liked the Ultrasone HFI-650 when I had it, it worked perfectly as a closed phone. Great isolation and I preferred its sound to the HD580. Easy to drive as well. You'll need some good equipment to make the HD580 shine.

Aug 10, 2003 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Aug 10, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by psyco1
You could look here once in a while.
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/forum...ne=&forumid=14

The Audio-Technica A700 might work too, efficient enough for soundcards. I use an a900 on my comp and it seems perfectly happy on it. If the soundstage and impact of the 700 is anything like the 900, then it would work well with rock, electronica and games. You would probably want to do a forum search first.
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...roducts_id=318

I've seen A900 and A500 owners here, but I don't know anyone who has the A700
confused.gif
Strange. Anyway, the AT's look like good headphones too and I'd like to try them someday. Undoubtedly they'd be more comfortable than Ultrasones, but also they provide less isolation. As for the sound, I'm not sure...

The clamping of the Ultrasones and warm pleather pads may get on your nerves. I can't really say how your head/ears will fit with the phones. Some people don't like the comfort at all, others say it's fine. It really isn't a problem as long as you take a break every now and then. They're not HD580 comfort but hey, no headphone is perfect, right?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back