A good pair of closed back cans
May 4, 2016 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Larethio

500+ Head-Fier
I know this is an answer that I can find through the search function, but I want to hear opinions of it from you guys. What are the best closed back headphones under $2000? I prefer closed back because even though the sound quality of open back and semi open back is more expansive and less intimite, they can lead to people hearing ones music and said people's subsequent nagging annoys me. I'm used to iems, which I find are restricted when it comes to soundstage purely due to physics, so I'll be relatively new to the world of cans. When I say good closed back I mean TOTL closed back which are to closed back cans as the Noble K10, Empire Ears Zeus R, and JH Layla are to iems. :)

Thanks.

May 4, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 4
I haven't personally heard any of these headphones that are still, IMHO, easy to recommend based on consistency of feedback from many sources.

Fostex and older Denon models are ruled out if you really need good isolation, they leak quite a bit for most folks...

Mr Speakers Alpha Dog, Alpha Prime.... but for TOTL you must audition the Mr Speakers Ether C

The new 2nd generation Beyerdynamic T5p might be an interesting choice and good for portable use, while the new DT1770 might be what you like and save a bunch of bucks.

In general, your post just screamed for Mr Speakers Ether C.

May 5, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 4
Hi :) 

I got the beyerdynamic t5p last month.Im very happy with it.When i bought the t5p i didnt know about the ether c.Read the review abouth the ether c on innerfidelity  after i bought the t5p.The ether c are a lot more expensive though,so i guess i would still have bought the t5p.The ether c also needs and good amp to perform its best,if i got it right? So total it would be very expensive (hp and amp/dac). But if you are looking for an end game headphone,or of course have the money i think you should try it.But i would also considering trying the t5p if i was you.It has great sound,easy to drive,good build quality,5 year warranty,and is very comfortable.Its ok for portable use,though the isolation could have been better,and its of course a little big.It also handles all music genres.So its an great all round headphone :) I use mine with an ipod touch 6 gen,and an oppo ha 2 amp/dac.But sometimes i just use it with my mobile phone.I love that it is easy to drive.Im not an audio expert,so describing details about the sound,treble,bass,and so on,is not my thing.But i love good sound,and thats what im getiing here.And it has big soundstage,at least for my ears.

Have of course never heard the ther c.But it got extremly good reviews,and looks like people love it here on head-fi. :) When i bougt the t5p i was looking for an end game headphone.At least for some years to come.Would be interesting to hear the ether-c.But i guess i would only end up selling my t5p and a leg,to get one :p lol.   Ive heard that the ether c is a little on the bright side,and not good for rock/metal/edm,but as i said,ive never heard it myself. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back