A good high-end headphone, that's also very stylish, any recommendations? -i'm a noob-
Feb 6, 2012 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Twilight Dawn

New Head-Fier
Hej guys,

This is my first post on this forum and I was wondering if you could help me out ! :)

I'm looking for a very good headphone. My budget is 300 € (can be a little bit more .. LITTLE BIT !)

The music I listen to varies so much ! I have a lot of pop, rock, alternative, etc...
Almost every kind is on it , but almost no Rap or Metal.

The headphone I want should also be very stylish and chique. Something you can be proud of when walking down the street :wink: 

I hope you can help me !!

Greetz !

(PS: What do you think about the Bowers & Wilkins P5 and The Monster Beats Studio ? -both 300€-)

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 50
No to all Beats, very poor value for money, and I've not heard the B&Ws. You want on-ear or over ear?

If you want pure bling that doesn't suck, check out a pair of Soul SL150 or SL300 by Ludacris. In white they look really nice, IMO, and they have first rate isolation. If you want some great cans with more "meat", check into Denon AH-D2000. They aren't as flashy, but they sound incredible for the price. Also, V-MODA V-80 or M-80 are a great balance of style and sound quality and very durable.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 50
The Bowers & Wilkins P5 are in another league from the Beats.  The Beats Studio are just horrible headphones.  Just horrible.  The P5 have impeccable build quality, a little warm if in-your-face sound signature that's a little muddy (not bad), but they're extremely portable, well built, isolate amazingly, and have a good fun sound signature.  Some will come on here and say they're overpriced crap and someone will recommend the ATH-M50, but all I have to say about the P5 is they are universally praised elsewhere than here and the main Head-Fi reviewer Jude is in love with the P5.  B&W is used at Abbey Road Studios, Skywalker Ranch, etc.  They come with a FANTASTIC warranty, as well.  You wouldn't need an amp, either.

Stay away from the celebrity headphones (Soul, Beats, etc.)

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 50
You know, the K1000's sense of space is one of the best. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 50
In terms of style I think the V-Moda M80 are pretty hard to beat, I really love the look of them. To me the B&W look classy, but not really that interesting, a little boring.

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 50
So that's a no to the Beats :p , they look like they're made of plastic that's true xp but is the sound quality really that bad ? It still is a €300 headphone :s The Ludacris' Soul headphones aren't really my style :p and the Denon is a bit too much for me :p they look REALLY BIG :p The V-Moda M80 looks cool and a lot of people seem to recommend it :p And also too bad that you didn't hear the b&w p5... and on ear or over the ear... i don't know, does that matter ? What would you recommend ? 

Thank you for all your help !!! Much appreciated

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 50

Quote:
No to all Beats, very poor value for money, and I've not heard the B&Ws. You want on-ear or over ear?
If you want pure bling that doesn't suck, check out a pair of Soul SL150 or SL300 by Ludacris. In white they look really nice, IMO, and they have first rate isolation. If you want some great cans with more "meat", check into Denon AH-D2000. They aren't as flashy, but they sound incredible for the price. Also, V-MODA V-80 or M-80 are a great balance of style and sound quality and very durable.

So that's a no to the Beats :p , they look like they're made of plastic that's true xp but is the sound quality really that bad ? It still is a €300 headphone :s The Ludacris' Soul headphones aren't really my style :p and the Denon is a bit too much for me :p they look REALLY BIG :p The V-Moda M80 looks cool and a lot of people seem to recommend it :p And also too bad that you didn't hear the b&w p5... and on ear or over the ear... i don't know, does that matter ? What would you recommend ? 

Thank you for all your help !!! Much appreciated

Quote:
The Bowers & Wilkins P5 are in another league from the Beats.  The Beats Studio are just horrible headphones.  Just horrible.  The P5 have impeccable build quality, a little warm if in-your-face sound signature that's a little muddy (not bad), but they're extremely portable, well built, isolate amazingly, and have a good fun sound signature.  Some will come on here and say they're overpriced crap and someone will recommend the ATH-M50, but all I have to say about the P5 is they are universally praised elsewhere than here and the main Head-Fi reviewer Jude is in love with the P5.  B&W is used at Abbey Road Studios, Skywalker Ranch, etc.  They come with a FANTASTIC warranty, as well.  You wouldn't need an amp, either.

Stay away from the celebrity headphones (Soul, Beats, etc.)

What do you mean with the in-your-face sound signature that's a bit muddy ? :p I don't really like the ATH-M50's style and I read a review of the b&w p5 here and they weren't all too happy about but oh well.. And what do you mean with , no need for an amplifier ? (i really am the biggest noob in this whole place :p)
THnk you for helping out !! 

Quote:
K1000 or Jecklin Floats

Stop making fun of me hahaha xd ! 

Quote:
You know, the K1000's sense of space is one of the best. 

... They will probably make you fly

Quote:
In terms of style I think the V-Moda M80 are pretty hard to beat, I really love the look of them. To me the B&W look classy, but not really that interesting, a little boring.

Yes I know... I'd really go for that classy look.. They look special and I just don't know about the V-Moda... :/ If you'd compare just in sound and stuff, who wins Vmoda or B&w ?

Thanks for your help !

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #10 of 50
In sound? The M-80/V-80s are very good sounding cans for their price and size, I own them and they're my "out and about" `phones. Plus, I've gotten quite a few compliments on them, usually from people who have taste and realize that Beats over-hyped. :wink:

Are Beats really that bad? For the price, yes they are. There are headphones out there that cost 1/4 the price that sound better.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 50
Heya,

Style is completely relative. We need you to post some examples of headphones that you like the look of. I happen to think oval shaped woodbacks are about as gorgeous as it gets. Others think it's meh and prefer transformer looking gunmetal stuff like Vmodas. So we need to know more what your style is. Do you like classy stuff? Or more stuff that's merely popular this year? Do you plan on it being hip 10 years from now? Know what I mean?

As it is, I'd put you on: Denon D5000, Fischer Audio FA-002W, Beyer Dyanamic T70P (or simply the DT770), AudioTechnica W1000X (or simply the A900X), Ultrasone PRO 900.

Very best,

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 50
He's right, wood headphones are the most visually appealing to me as well, and I think the Denon D5000 & D7000s are some of the best looking cans out there. To me, though, they just seem too delicate. I know I've dropped my V-80s several times, once on the sidewalk, and they still look great and work perfectly. My D7000s, OTOH, I handle with great care and even bought a special stand so that the cups don't get bumped accidentally. Hmm... now that I think about it, that may indicate that I'm a touch neurotic. :D

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 50

Just having a play with these today since they're all brand new here in Oz - not bad, quite balanced and not at all harsh and nasty
 as some have reported - certainly not on the ample side in terms of bass, impact is reasonable but there is no discernible sub bass to my ears
 fresh out of the box - guitar reproduction is solid. Overall, these deserve more love. Stylish? Very.

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #14 of 50
Well.. the best looking headphones that have a good sound are the Beats Pro..
Though there are better headphones for less.
The Beats Pro should be worth like 250€ but their price is 400€.. just do the math.

I would say my Denons D2000 stomp them pretty much.

You could order them from amazon.com with free shipping.. you gotta wait and get them for 300€ or slightly more.
In the Beats collection they are the best sounding ones.
Even though i would not recommend Solos or Studios.. but the pros do sound decent - but are way too overpriced..
Well ok - generally that is wrong - Pros are like Studios and Solos better sound but in another price range.. which is just basically the same, lol

If you are smart:

I would say you get some Ultrasones with an amp.. maybe m50 would please you too - as you said they are ugly.. the limited edition looks pre fine :).
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Limited-Professional-Headphones/dp/B006L404KU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328706301&sr=1-1

A FiiO E7 and you would be set imo.
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E7-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003E6K1VK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328706372&sr=1-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back