A good external dac / IEM combo for a nomad audio enthusiast with a thousand bucks to spare ?
Apr 24, 2020 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Piotr Kubic

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Being tired of the sound of my room despite my beloved sound system (glass and concrete everywhere and picky partner who doesn't want me to cover the walls with acoustic foam), i'm currently looking to buy some equipment to listen to music in my house and on the go in good conditions

I've spent the past few weeks wandering around forums, reviews and videos, and i currently feel a little lost. I sure know that i tend to prefer IEMs and that i like simplicity and portability. I also know that i love warm, deep sound, detailed and textured bass with some punch and that i'm prone to ear fatigue when trebles are to high. I currently own a pair of Sony WF-1000XM3 which sounds ok (clearly not an audiophile product) but which i find quite uncomfortable IMO.

So here i am, with a thousand euros burning my pocket, lost between chi-fi, a myriad of external dacs, daps and IEM, and i simply don't know how to make a choice.

So far, my eyes are lurking on an audioquest dragonfly cobalt paired with a nice pair of CIEM for exquisite comfort (maybe a Custom Arts Fibae 4, who knows), all pluged into my smartphone, but i'm obviously not sure of the result.

Would any of you have an advice for me on that ? Should i go for Universals IEM (with good tips for my sensitive and way too asymetrical ear canals) over CIEM ? Is the Dragonfly cobalt worth the money ? Should i consider Chi-Fi brands like Audiosens or BGVP ?

Thanks in advance for your answers, sorry if my question is too vague and for the mistakes (french are not good in english), and cheers to you all !

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back