A Good DC Source for CMOY
Sep 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

guguma

New Head-Fier
Dear All,

I am planning to build a CMOY for myself using the tangentsoft guide, but I will use it at home so I do not want to bother with batteries and simply use an ac adapter to power the amp, I do not know much about electronics so I do not know what kind of an adapter I should get.

Could You please give me an advice about an adapter I can use for the CMOY.

Thanks in Advance.

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 6
It uses a 9v battery source, so just grab a 9V DC transformer (adapter). Then all you need is to grab a DC socket to use in your cmoy for the voltage source. You can also use two 9v batteries in series, so i guess you could grab a 18V DC adapter if you wanted, however this shouldn't make a difference because the 18V is better utilized when using batteries in series so they will last longer, the opamps have a rating of 9v so they will be fine (as the voltage is split). Might want to double check this when someone more experienced comes along though. Probably need one that has a amperage rating on the order of a few hundred mA's aslo. Theres heaps on ebay.

Edit: I have been wrong before xD Check this out mate
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/tweaks.html

He says to use a power supply of no less than 12V, however the rest i said seems to be accurate. have a read through that. He suggest some brands there too.

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 6
Baron5,

Thank you so much for your reply, I have read the info there but the problem is that they are claiming that if one picks up any power supply it might introduce a lot of noise, so they are suggesting a regulated and an isolated power supply, the power supply he is suggesting (Elpac one) is nowhere to be found. And I have no idea how to pick up a power supply that is regulated and isolated and where to pick it up from.

Thanks

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 6
I like to use 2 unregulated DC wallwarts feeding 2 voltage regulators. This is the simplest way to get a proper balanced supply that has a genuine ground connection, as opposed to the 'virtual ground' solutions using a single supply which NEVER perform as well. An unregulated 12V supply of 100mA or greater will produce a voltage >12V when lightly loaded with a typical cmoy, 2 will run a 7812 and 7912 regulator without dropout. You may have a couple of old ones lying around, 2 x 9V's with 7809 and 7909 will do too, or even 2 x 5V's with 7805 and 7905.

You need the unregulated transformer (heavy) type of wallwart, not the regulated switchmode (lightweight) type. The switchmode type often do not take kindly to being connected together. Measure the unloaded output, you may need 25V caps instead of 16V. Take care not to connect your phones with only one wallwart connected though, as this is very likely to damage them.

w

Users who are viewing this thread

Back