A good DAP for portable use with 32gb capacity and microsd slot?
Jun 4, 2012 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

harryyeo

Head-Fier
As per title, anyone knows of a good DAP that I can carry around?
I want to get one that comes with 32gb internal capacity and has a microsd card slot so I can expand the capacity further.
Preferably able to drive full sized headphone on it's own even though I already have the mini3 and E17 amps as I kinda hope to lighten the load on my shoulders. 

Currently looking at the Cowon J3 and the Cowon Z2, but am open to recommendations from other brands so long it's not iPod.
tongue.gif

Thanks for any help!
L3000.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 20
iBasso DX100, if you could wait for months... 
bigsmile_face.gif

Btw, I doubt J3 or Z2 could drive a full sized headphone well on their own. I had S9 before and it could not even drive a ER4S/B.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif

Btw, I doubt J3 or Z2 could drive a full sized headphone well on their own. I had S9 before and it could not even drive a ER4S/B.

Argh. Months...
And the price is... A bit prohibitive.
eek.gif

I guess I should've stated my budget which is within 500 USD.
ph34r.gif

Well, then I guess driving a full sized headphone part can be smashed.
I still have my amps after all.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif

My C2 from Cowon drives my HD-25 II fine and does a reasonably good job with my HD600.
It might not come with 32 gb storage (mine is 8 gb), but it does supply a microSD slot.
The interface is somewhat unorthodox (to put it mildly), but the side buttons are handy enough that it's not a huge issue.
Also, battery life is very good. I can spend weeks without recharging it. And it's way under OP's budget.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 20
The J3 kicks ass and you can format a 64gb micro sdxc (3.0) to work in the J3 as well. Great battery life, easy to carry, great sound, and drag and drop your files (no itunes needed). 

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 20
Not cricising , but would genuinely like to know why the O/P needs 32gig onboard. My Nokia N8 has 16 on board ,my HIFI man 601 has 8, but both take 32
gig cards, so I carry a couple around.  Unless I am joining NASA I don't see why anyone would need more choice, 32 gig on its own will carry
70+ FLAC lps, that's a lot of choice in itself.

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
Not cricising , but would genuinely like to know why the O/P needs 32gig onboard. My Nokia N8 has 16 on board ,my HIFI man 601 has 8, but both take 32
gig cards, so I carry a couple around.  Unless I am joining NASA I don't see why anyone would need more choice, 32 gig on its own will carry
70+ FLAC lps, that's a lot of choice in itself.

A lot of people (myself included) want to carry around their entire FLAC library on one device, without the added hassle of card switching.

A lot of choice =! all the choices available.

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 20
You can rockbox the classics now so they can play flac you know.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
You can rockbox the classics now so they can play flac you know.

Rockbox is pretty awesome, as is the storage capacity of Apple classics...the battery life isn't great, especially if you're playing flac. The J3 can't hold as much (but you can format 64gb and 128gb sdxc cards to work in the J3, though not cheaply) and their eq + UI isn't as good as Rockbox (the eq is quite good, just not as manipulative as Rockbox, while the UI for the Cowon isn't in the same ballpark imo). However, the battery life is superb and the sound is at least as good (many feel it is better) than the ipod classic when both are unamped. The classic allows you to use an LOD to a dac/amp which improves the sound beyond what the J3 can do (the J3 can be amped through the headphone out), but it's an extra (and possibly considerable) expense and makes your player less portable. The J3 is light, slim, and easy to pocket. Nobody has yet produced a player that has it all - sound quality, portability, user interface, storage capacity, versatility of playable file formats, eq-ability and competitive pricing. All have their strengths and weaknesses - it really depends on what is important to you.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 20
You could get a 2GB Clip+ for $30, then get a 64GB micro SDXC card(around $65?) to put in it. Many claim the Clip+ will support a micro SDXC card if the card is formatted as FAT32.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
You cold get a 2GB Clip+ for $30, then get a 64GB micro SDXC card(around $65?) to put in it. Many claim the Clip+ will support a micro SDXC card if the card is formatted as FAT32.

That would be a pointless addition without Rockbox, given the limitations of the native Clip+ database.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back