a good DAC choice for mixing and mastering? Please help
Apr 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

feedme07

New Head-Fier
I thought I had my mind made up about purchasing, but I seriously keep researching and there is just so many options. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the w4s-dac2. I will be using the setup only for mixing and mastering purposes, and I've read so many great things about clarity and the performance of this product, but wanted to check with you guys and get your opinions first?
The amp following the DAC is not something I'm worried about as i've done plenty of research and will easily make that decision after I decide upon a DAC. If its relevant, i'm using my HD800's with this setup.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 7
K thanks for the input...I just added that as another option. There are so many available and I have no way of demoing them, I just want to make the right choice! any help is appreciated :)

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I thought I had my mind made up about purchasing, but I seriously keep researching and there is just so many options. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the w4s-dac2. I will be using the setup only for mixing and mastering purposes, and I've read so many great things about clarity and the performance of this product, but wanted to check with you guys and get your opinions first?
The amp following the DAC is not something I'm worried about as i've done plenty of research and will easily make that decision after I decide upon a DAC. If its relevant, i'm using my HD800's with this setup.

When I bought my HD 800 three years ago I used it with the Grace m902b (since upgraded to the new m903).

These are designed specifically as studio monitor controllers - the DAC  is one of the best around and the analogue amplifier is superb.
L3000.gif

Yes, Grace tell me that about 60% are sold to audiophiles, but it was designed first and foremost as a professional monitoring tool.

I bought my HD 800 for the same reason as you - for mixing and mastering.

I record live on a Nagra VI - monitoring through the Grace with Geithain RL906 monitors and the Hd 800 (open) and HD 25-1 (closed) headphones.

I edit and master on Sequoia and monitor through the Grace with the Geithains and HD 800.

It works very well.

I originally bought the Grace on the recommendation of a friend, who does a large amount of recording for Classic FM and a few record labels - though he, eventually, went for the larger and more expensive m904.

The HD 800 with the Grace m903 does make an excellent mastering and monitoring combination and is what I use myself.  It's natural and revealing, it does not have a sound of it's own, but tells you all you need to know about the recording.

For your use you do not want a "nice sounding" combination, but something that is revealing of the source - something that tells you exactly what is going on so you can make the correct decisions to get the best sounding recording you can - and the HD 800 / m903 does exactly this.  The fact that it also sounds great when you get it right is a bonus.
L3000.gif

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 7
Well I just spent almost four hours staring at screens and reading reviews and on and on and on kind of frustrated almost looking for the perfect solution...Then I came back here and read your post, after looking into this unit A LOT and reading all I could, it seems like a perfect fit. Neutral, accurate, and intended for production and monitoring purposes. It will even work with my nearfields if I saw fit. Thank you for the suggestion! I just ordered the Grace M903 from B&H photo and selected next day air. I will have the unit in hand tomorrow and will write a review shortly after. Im excited! 

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Well I just spent almost four hours staring at screens and reading reviews and on and on and on kind of frustrated almost looking for the perfect solution...Then I came back here and read your post, after looking into this unit A LOT and reading all I could, it seems like a perfect fit. Neutral, accurate, and intended for production and monitoring purposes. It will even work with my nearfields if I saw fit. Thank you for the suggestion! I just ordered the Grace M903 from B&H photo and selected next day air. I will have the unit in hand tomorrow and will write a review shortly after. Im excited! 

I'm sure you'll love it - I certainly love mine (which is why I upgraded from the 902b to the 903 back in February).
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back