A good counterpart to the KRK Rp6g2's
Apr 2, 2011 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BananaReed

New Head-Fier
I have KRK RP6G2's run through a Creative X-Fi titanium sound card on the desktop, and I was wondering what would be the next logical step into making this setup sound better on the computer(within the price range of these speakers anyways, nothing ridiculously stretching so <$400)? Would it be RP10s for more lower end, a DAC or preamp because you don't think the soundcard's good enough, or an amp to power the already active speakers? Please recommend the specific thing you would get too!

Mostly listen to hip hop, so maybe something with a warmer signature or maybe a bit of bass. I'm not too sure how much more the RP10s would add compared to a DAC/preamp/amp/equipment of the same or less price. Nothing muddy too, so clean detail and separation, but this isn't my priority.

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 11
Yes, an external DAC.  Perhaps a DAC/amp so you can use the pre-amp output to control the volume from that external device.

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Yes, an external DAC.  Perhaps a DAC/amp so you can use the pre-amp output to control the volume from that external device.

Any one in specific I should look for to listen to hip hop (Nuforce Icon amp/zero dac/maverick audio TubeMagic D1 DAC/temple audio bantam xc2/HRT Music Streamer II/Yulong U100/Audinst HUD-MX1/etc.)? More specifically, compared to the rp10s and my current soundcard, would this DAC or DAC/amp add significantly more bass and better sound?

I'm looking for a bess bang for the buck under $400

Musiland Monitor 02

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 11
i have an emu0404 connected to my rp6g2's. but thats was $200. For around $400, ive heard good things about the cambridge audio dac magic

are you looking for balanced or unbalanced connections?

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
i have an emu0404 connected to my rp6g2's. but thats was $200. For around $400, ive heard good things about the cambridge audio dac magic

are you looking for balanced or unbalanced connections?

I've tried reading some things about the connections and I've failed to see if it really mattered so I don't know haha.
But the more I read on DAC's for speakers, the more I see that the price of the desktop DAC or amp is not a good quality determiner. Like a $60 behringer dac is equal if not better than a uDAC2 for more than twice its price. And even when they get expensive, there's a point where they stop helping your equipment sound that much better, like a giant point of diminishing returns. Well of course unless you spend more than a grand anyways.

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 11

[size=medium]
An X-Fi Titanium is pretty decent. A DAC won't make a significant difference on your speakers, they're just not resolving enough to really benefit. Don't waste your $400. You can start with using lossless music files and running ASIO4ALL drivers through Foobar/JRiver for bit perfect playback. See if that helps. 

The RP's are my least favourite KRK's. For better sound I'd consider upgrading to the VXT line or if you're up for something different in your budget, Fostex makes some excellent active monitors that have good bass. The Fostex PM MKII is great! I've compared a lot of monitors but eventually chose passive speakers since I realised I wasn't looking for neutrality but musicality. :)  

[/size]

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 11
Well all in all I would do the VXT line but I'll be stuck with the RP6G2's. I just want a fuller sound, so I'm guessing that I could just spend <100 on a DAC and just get the RP10s anyways.

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 11
Why the $100 DAC? It's not going to make a difference. Just invest your entire budget in better speakers. That will give you the most noticeable upgrade. 

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 11
Ah, that changes the matter! :) Well, adding a subwoofer will improve the setup if it matches your room. Talking about your room, a lot of improvement comes from room treatment and speaker positioning. Have you looked into those? 

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 11
Stuff like this? http://emusician.com/remixmag/how_to/technology/remix_diy_acoustics/
I've looked at it but I really doubt the aesthetics and practicality of a bass trap in the room.

If you have a better site than that, I would love to take a look at it. There's just too large a list of room treatment tutorials to choose one for me haha: http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Accessories/Acoustic_Room_Treatments/Acoustic_Room_Treatment_Articles/

It's a room of about 15ftx10ft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back