A good cable for the HD590 headphones
Feb 19, 2003 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ClearYourMind

100+ Head-Fier
First off this is what happend...

I use my headphones alot, I'm always pluging them into my CD player, MP3, and to my computer. I'll prob go back in forth from all three over 10-15 times a day. I used to do that with my old $15 sony headphones, and they lasted. Still work fine and had them for over a year. I just got these Sennheiser headphones off of ebay less then 2 weeks ago. They were brand new, still in sealed box.

Today when I was listening to my mp3 player with my headphones, I triped over the cord and my MP3 player which was on the shelf fell to the floor. Now the plug that connects to the MP3 players headphone jack is a tiny tiny bit bent. You can't even really tell just by looking at it. The sound quality droped dramatically. I have to push in the plug really tight and hold it to get the true original sound I had before, otherwise is sounded faded and weak. Like cheap wires that aren't getting a good connection.

I was thinking about purchasing a replacement cable. Most likely two cables so I don't have to keep unpluging it as much. Keep one cable hook up to my computer and the other one hooked up to my stereo. The Sennheiser replacement cables are only about $13 dollars each.

I was thinking, well, might as well get some better cables. Seems like a good reason to upgrade. I need cables anyway, a little extra mula won't bring me down much and more then likely be well worth it.

I'm looking for some advice on what cable would not only better sounding then that of the stock but a cable that is strong and will last and goes with the headphones. I seen some people with bright blue cables or bright white, I personally just think that looks ugly. I would want it to mach my headphones and stereo setup. Everything is black with some gold here and there.

I only need about an 8' ft cable. Min would be 6' ft, but 8'-10' would be best. I'm not looking to spend no $100 bucks on some cables, not right now anyway. More like under $30, if possible, under $25.

Also, website links will help. Thanks.

Feb 20, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 16
Hmm, no cable in that price range eh? Alright then how much should I be looking to spend?

The stock cables sound nice enough, I'm not looking for a major improvement, if anything, so long as the sound is equal to that of the stock cables. The main thing is that the plug is more stronger/durable. The stock cable is pretty cheap, but I'd have to have to replace it every few months or so. Honestly, only 2 weeks and the thing is already damaged and It's not like I was ruff on it, pulling on it all crazy. I don't pull via the cord part, rather the rubber flexy part that has little grooves to grip on.

I think it was because the plug is straight and not the bent kind, which made it more subceptible to damage. I'm starting to think it wasn't the fall that damaged it, but rather the headphone jack fit to tightly and the constent pluging in and out took a toll on the cable. It's almost as if the metal part of the plug is comming out of the rubber part just a tiny tiny bit. Just enough to effect the sound. So when I press it in real tight and hold it, the sound is full again.

It's only a problem with connected to a mini jack. When the bigger stereo jack adapter is put over the small plug, the sound is pretty full. So for now I'm having to play out of my reciever and not straight to my MP3/CD player.

...so any replacement cables at all (other then DIY ones) for my HD 590 I'll take a look at. Just tell me the brand, what you think of the quality, whats the price and whats the link to see and purchase it. Thanks.

Feb 20, 2003 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 16
These are way over your stated $25 to $30 price range. But here it is anyway:

Stefen AudioArt HD590 Equinox Cable

IM000152b.JPG

Feb 22, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 16
Depends on what you have em plugged into. You should have a decent amp and a decent CDP for those cables to really deliver.

Mark

Feb 22, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 16
As for what that headwize thread was talking about... I didn't even take that into consideration.

It's not so much a big improvment in sound I was looking for, I just wanted some ultra strong cables that can handle some serious abuse. I'm forever pluging in and out the cables. I know it takes a toll on the cable itself after a while. I just wanted cables that will last a lifetime so to speak. Which the Sennhieser stock cables did not do. The Sennheiser cable's arn't cheap by any means. Actually seem pretty good. Light weight, flexible, dosn't really tangle with me, sound quality is still real good. Just the metal part that touches the rubber, that was the part that got messed up. God I should post a picture. It's hard to image.

I'll have to talk to a few DIY'ers who build cables, see what I can get. Cuz hell I an't about to spend $100 on a cable when the stock cost only $13.

Feb 23, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 16
Here's a rather nice review of various Senn replacement cables (which you may already have read, ClearYourMind):
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&threadid=8751

Contrary to the headwize posting, sure sounds as if Jude thinks cables make a difference. The Equinox and Cardas cables both sound as if they will indeed be an improvement over the stock cables. (But, is it a $100+ improvement?)

I wonder if these replacement cables really do only fit the Senn580 & 600 headphones. Is there a reason why they wouldn't fit the HD590s, too?

Still, like you CYM, I don't think I'm quite ready to spend almost as much on a cable as I will be spending on the headphones! Since you only want some "non-broken" cables as opposed to cables that will improve the sound, maybe you should just buy the $13 Senn cables and save lots of money!

Feb 23, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #9 of 16
I bet my best bet is to buy a few pairs of the HD 590 replacement cables. Have one always plug'ed into my computer, another pluged into my MP3 player and the third pluged into my CD player.lol, that way I'm sure to not over wear out the cable. Or would i end up just wearing out the other end. God damn it..lol, I don't know.

Na, I think buying two HD 590 cables would be a good idea. I'd have one to use every day and one as a backup. $13 bucks a cable, need to cables, subtrack the one, carry the 5, lol... $26 and still in my buget. Wish someone made an almost exact version of the stock cable but instead of the rubber tips, maybe steal? or something stronger. Cuz really, after just two weeks that an't right. If a year had gone buy I'd understand. Luckly, if I have the adapter on the cable, and pinch the cable just right, I can get it to work. I'm surprised no one else had this problem. The HD 580 cables are almost the same, just split. The part that plugs into the source is basically the exact same.

Hope I an't scaring anyone with my little story..lol.

Feb 23, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 16
Guess what. I fell for it.
redface.gif
biggrin.gif
Just purchased a pair of the Equinox HD590 cables after also purchasing the HD590 headphones.

Somehow, I really have caught this headphone bug.
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 16
lol, alright, you just make sure you do a A - B comparison for us. If you can take some pictures too. Did you get the standard white ones or the black ones, I'm courious how the blackones look.

The headphone bug is a bitch an't it. I know it sure bit me on my ass. Originally I just wanted the headphones, next thing I know I'm spending $200+ on a MP3 player, then wanting to spend $300 on an amp, and $60 for some RCA cables, $30 for some replacement cables... I don't think this will ever end.

It's a god damn cult i tell ya. Sucking us right in!

Feb 23, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

It's a god damn cult i tell ya. Sucking us right in!

It is, it is! They didn't warn us that we needed a second job to maintain our habit, either!

I got the black ones, 'cause of the review - how can you resist: Quote:

The Equinox's black woven Techflex outer jacket is downright gorgeous to look at.

after all?

D*** - I have to wait for a week to see - and hear - all of this goodness!

Feb 26, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 16
fyrfytrhoges - Looking forward to getting these cables. I bought the ones with the mini-connector because I was planning to plug them into my soundcard or Klipsch ProMedia 1/8" headphone jacks. Now it looks as if I'll be buying a headphone amp, which of course has the "normal" 1/4" headphone jack.... This is what I get for ordering cables before I have the rest of my equipment.
redface.gif

Will the 1/4" adapter that comes with the Sennheiser headphones work O.K. for this, or do I need some special (probably over-priced!) adapter to bring out the best of the Equinox cables? (Sorry for my ignorance....please help to educate this newbie!)

Feb 26, 2003 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Will the 1/4" adapter that comes with the Sennheiser headphones work O.K. for this, or do I need some special (probably over-priced!) adapter to bring out the best of the Equinox cables? (Sorry for my ignorance....please help to educate this newbie!)

The connector is not a big deal. As long as the original sennheiser one fits right, it should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back