A good amp for E500
Oct 29, 2006 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Fr3sH

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I just bought the new shure E500. I have an Ipod nano 1st gen but I don't think it's good enough for E500. So, I'm wondering what would be a good amp for em. Probably around $200 ... I prefer less if it is possible though
lambda.gif
. Thanks

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 13
Of all my portable amps, I thought the E500 sounded best with the SR71 ($400 new). From what I've read, since the currently shipping Hornet ($350 new) shares similarity with the SR71 sound, I'd imagine it would sound good as well. I know both amps are above your stated budget.

Oct 29, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by b17m4p
Or you could wait for the new RSA amp, specific for IEMs. Im not sure the price, probably a little over your budget.

Well, he'd have to see how it sounds first

Oct 29, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 13
I liked my supermini IV with my UM2, but not enough difference to carry an extra amp and cable with me all the time.. The difference that was most obvious was that the hiss is gone with the supermini amping it
I do it.. sometimes when i'm wearing baggy pants with big pockets

I'm one of the few, i think most of the other folks notice a lot more difference with amping IEMs

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 13
I have an SR-71, a Xin Micro, and have been listening to a friend's Hornet M for a couple of weeks. I'd say that the Xin Micro sounds great with E 500s, real clear, slightly warm, very natural sounding with a large soundstage. The SR-71 has great background detail, and also sounds real good as does the Hornet M. However, the Xin Micro sounds the best in my opinion.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1
I have an SR-71, a Xin Micro, and have been listening to a friend's Hornet M for a couple of weeks. I'd say that the Xin Micro sounds great with E 500s, real clear, slightly warm, very natural sounding with a large soundstage. The SR-71 has great background detail, and also sounds real good as does the Hornet M. However, the Xin Micro sounds the best in my opinion.

Do u feel a lot of difference amped and unamped ?

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 13
Yes, I never listen to anything without an amp, I find a good amp really improves the sound quality compared to the unamped headphone out.

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Under the $200 budget you listed I would say Supermicro IV and then the Go-Vibe 5. If you go up to $400 I still say the Supermicro IV, and I will add the Go-Vibe 5 would be in my top 5 list with the SR71 and The Hornet.

By the way I have not heard the new Supermacro IV yet.

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3sH
BTW...does mp3 player influence the sound too ? I mean if amped. Because I heard that Ipod 5th gen have better sound than nano.

Yes, and a whole lot more than you may think. It has to do with the amplification after the DAC in the player. Cheapo amp, not so good sound.
And if the player does not have a lineout, what you get with a separate amp still goes through the same circuit inside the mp3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back