A Glorious Dawn - Carl Sagan
Sep 28, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 14
I found this through another source about the same time. Surprisingly uplifting, and well done.

It also led me to discover that all of Cosmos is now on Hulu. Just what I didn't have time for this month. =) I haven't seen it since it was on PBS the first time.

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Erickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found this through another source about the same time. Surprisingly uplifting, and well done.

It also led me to discover that all of Cosmos is now on Hulu. Just what I didn't have time for this month. =) I haven't seen it since it was on PBS the first time.

I would love to watch it as well, as I'm a huge Sagan fan. Unfortunately, Hulu shares something in common with sites like Pandora, Comedy Central etc.

HULU HATES CANADA
angry_face.gif

Sigh. And here I was hoping to waste a few hours tonight watching Cosmos.
frown.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 14
Yeah I wish I could watch it as well, though I could install a proxy program on my notebook. I might just go out and buy it.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 14
Cosmos is available on Instant Viewing for Netflix. I just watched it about 2 weeks ago. Amazing series.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 14
I found the DVD set for sale... for like $115 CAN.
frown.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #10 of 14
I'm in the process of re-watching Cosmos, what an amazing series. I have tried to watch the show The Universe but I hate the narrator, the whole show seems to pray on peoples fears where as Cosmos is all about hopes and dreams.

There is a follow up to the Glorious Dawn video
YouTube - Symphony of Science - 'We Are All Connected' (ft. Sagan, Feynman, deGrasse Tyson & Bill Nye)

Appearently there's now a 7" vinyl pressing of "A Glorious Dawn" It's $7 USD including shipping to Canada.
http://www.thirdmanrecords.com/news.html

RIP Carl Sagan, one day we'll see those "Billions and Billions" of stars.

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 14
My copy of that vinyl just arrived. For something produced digitally and obviously mangled by autotune, it sounds surprisingly good.

There's a FLAC version for download at The Symphony of Science - Spreading scientific knowledge and philosophy through music along with a couple of other tracks in the same vein. All are well done, but I don't find the others as engaging as "A Glorious Dawn".

Flipping back and forth between the two, I prefer the analog, even if it came from a digital source. (The turntable is warmer and smoother. The FLAC seems harsh and keeps skipping because I don't think my wireless streams fast enough for FLAC in this room. The turntable may be a bit fast, though.)

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 14
Yeah, its surprisingly uplifting song, with really nice "lyrics". I hope Sagans vision becomes true someday...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back