A future-proof desktop setup..
Nov 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AdamWysokinski

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

After selling my previous setup (Heed Dactilus + Heed Canamp + K701), I'm thinking about returning to headphones. What I have is an iMac and music in lossless format - mostly in 16/44.1. What I want is: a) a pair of very comfortable and universal cans and b) USB/Firewire DAC/amp capable of playing hi-res files. I was thinking about a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A700. AFAIK, the A700 doesn't require amp and that's fine because I'd like to use it with my iPod as well. I could just plug them into my iMac and enjoy music.

I've got no idea regarding the dac/amp, though. I'd prefer one box solution, something not very expensive (up to ~500 USD), yet of high quality; 24/192 playback is required.

Another idea is to get a pair of good IEMs (Sennheiser IE8?) and ditch the idea of dac/amp (most of my music is in low-res, anyway). However, I'm afraid about their comfort on longer use - your opinion on this matter is highly anticipated by me

Help :)

Thanks,
Adam

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 2
The CEntrance DACPort sounds like just the thing you're looking for. Amplifier and DAC in one, both superbly well-engineered, considerably under $500 - but only 24/96 capable. Not sure why you want 24/192 playback, as it is objectively lower quality than 24/96, due to the lower oversampling ratios used with such a high sample rate (No need to take it from me, take it from Benchmark Audio: http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=126:96khz-vs-192khz&catid=57:reader-feedback&Itemid=24)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back