A future-proof DAC?
Sep 3, 2005 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rauer

500+ Head-Fier
For many people on this forum, the constant change in their equipment seems to be part of the fun. That's absolutely fine, just not my cup of tea. When I buy something, I usually plan to keep it.

Now I'm thinking about getting a separate DAC. The problem is, many of the popular ones don't seem to be very future-proof in my system. Many have only one toslink and one coax digital input, I'd like at least two of each. Not all - if really any - are able to convert hi-rez audio signals. I'd wish a broad range of input signals, both in frequency and bit-depth. Some DACs couldn't be placed anywhere visible without the better half getting a fit. The DAC would be used for headphones (no amp needed!), but also eventually in my "AV media centre", having multiple inputs like redbook and 48kHz audio from the DVD player, PC's digital out, 48kHz digital radio and TV audio from the DVB set-top-box, one day perhaps DVD-Audio or SACD too.

What would you consider the best future-proof DAC in the $ .5 to 1.5 k price range?

Though I'm very much tempted on getting a separate DAC, the number of digital inputs make me wonder if I'd be better off just using my Denon AVR-3803 AV receiver which has a respectable number of inputs and outputs.

EDIT: I can't reach the back of the receiver now but it seems there are 5 toslink and two coax inputs. I wonder if any separate DAC comes even close?

Sep 3, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 7
For future-proof, forget about USB or firewire. I think S/PDIF is so widespread that it will stick around for another 20 years.

Benchmark DAC1 may be what you are looking for. It has 3 digital inouts, AES/EBU, Coaxial, and Toslink. It has state-of-the-art jitter rejection circuitry so it is not picky on digital source. It can decode 24/192 signal, which IMHO is going not anywhere. Few people believe we will ever need higher sampling rate or wordlength on the consumer side of digital audio. It has built-in headphone amplifier, which has extremely low measured distortion. In pro-audio the headphpone jack is considered very good, but compared to audiophile headphone amps I think it is just decent. It can act as a preamp, too. It has one XLR out, one RCA out and two headphone jacks. This means four unbalanced outs is possible, and I am using three in my system, with one headphone jack left for my Grado SR225. XLR out can act as a good amp for high-impedance headphones, balanced or unbalanced, better than front jacks. This is a pro-audio equipment with excellent build quality, so you can expect it to work for years to come.

Street price = MSRP = $975
As for the sound, it is has excellent transparency, details, speed, imaging and bass tightness. It shows little sign of digititus. It delivers what you should expect from good digital equipment. As Bob Katz likes to say, good digital is neither cheap nor easy to find.

Sep 3, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, Ferbose. The Benchmark seems to be a very highly regarded DAC and it's one of the ones I've been considering. Unfortunately I'm not sure it fits my needs. With that few digital inputs I'd have to use a switch of some sort. The decent headphone amp can be a bonus, but as I already have a Prehead, that wouldn't be needed.

Any other suggestions?

Sep 3, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 7
What is the problem of using digital source switches?
Only potential problem is interface jitter, but with DAC1 that should be a non-issue.

Sep 3, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
What is the problem of using digital source switches?

I'd like to keep the system as simple as possible without much manual switching. I suppose there are automatic switches, too?

Sep 4, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 7
Just realised what to do when I get that AV centre ready: I should probably get a decent AV processor! Has anyone compared the DACs in AV processors to stand-alone DACs in two channel use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back