A friend of mine only uses his mp3 player and...
Jul 24, 2006 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

1000+ Head-Fier
... he would like to know if it makes any sense to buy a high-end headphone if he will only use it for his iriver h320 mp3 player (same one I have). I really don't know what to tell him, because I have never bought anything that high-end as he is looking at.

For example, I just ordered the Sennheiser HD555, but he is more into classical, and he read the HD580 is better. I've never heard it, so I don't know what to advise, except that he will need an amp if he plans on using that high-impedance monster.

I told him he could get a 50ohm HD555, but he likes his classical, and is adamant about the HD580 now (likes the Sennheiser sound from auditions). So, what do you guys think? Is it worth it if it's only an mp3 player as the source?

Note: The iriver h320, btw, is an awesome source sound-quality-wise (though bulky compared to today's ever-so-famous ipods).

Jul 24, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 15
The HD580 is the wrong headphone if he's looking to drive it straight from an mp3 player. It'll sound decent, but the performance level unamped is similar to that of the ksc75, in which case it'd make more sense to save $130 and buy the ksc75. I think your recommendation of the HD555 is pretty good. Another headphone I might consider is the Sony D66 Eggos. I wasn't too crazy about the sound for most genres, but they sounded amazing for classical.

Jul 24, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 15
I use an "MP3 player" with all of my cans and it is nice to have around. Nice small form factor. I agree with the previous poster that the 580 will need an amp out of a portable player to get good sound.

Jul 24, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
The HD580 is the wrong headphone if he's looking to drive it straight from an mp3 player. It'll sound decent, but the performance level unamped is similar to that of the ksc75, in which case it'd make more sense to save $130 and buy the ksc75. I think your recommendation of the HD555 is pretty good. Another headphone I might consider is the Sony D66 Eggos. I wasn't too crazy about the sound for most genres, but they sounded amazing for classical.

Well, he's willing to get an amp, so does iriver +HD580 +amp work better than iriver +HD555? Or is the sound difference not discernible because of his source (the mp3 player)?

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117
Well, he's willing to get an amp, so does iriver +HD580 +amp work better than iriver +HD555? Or is the sound difference not discernible because of his source (the mp3 player)?

The 580s are more laid back than the 555s. The 580s would probably be my choice (amped) for the music he is listening to (classical).

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 15
dt880 32 ohm
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #8 of 15
ATH-A900. They're easy to drive and efficient.

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrix_2k
ATH-A900. They're easy to drive and efficient.

But for classical??? Why not the ad900 instead

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117

If he does get an amp for the hd580, it has to be something other than a govibe or a pa2v2. Those amps do improve the sound substantially, but the imaging won't be good...like the positioning will seem "blurry," if I'm making any sense.

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
If he does get an amp for the hd580, it has to be something other than a govibe or a pa2v2. Those amps do improve the sound substantially, but the imaging won't be good...like the positioning will seem "blurry," if I'm making any sense.

If he goes with the HD580 then perhaps a Xin Super-Mini amp, you can get a used one (V3) very reasonably as the new V4 is in production. It is nice and compact that's a big plus for portable use. I thought it sounded decent with the HD600 I had.

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
But for classical??? Why not the ad900 instead

I've never heard the AD900s, but the A900s sound great for classical and amazing for jazz.

Jul 24, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 15
Just did a quick unscientific A/B comparison with my HD600s, Creative MuVo TX and Corda HA-1.

To my ears adding an amp to the signal chain did not do much if any difference. True, I managed to get louder sound with the Corda but even the MuVo could drive my phones to an uncomfortably high level.

Test material: Haydn symphony 103 (Brüggen), Strauss lieder (Isokoski), some Beastie Boys, encoded with 192 kbit/s or higher.

Regards,

L.

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 15
Many people haven't actually tested the hd580 with a muvo or an mp3 player, thea re just quoting other persons experiences. The difference really ain't that big, even with a much sturdier amp.

Biggest difference comes from the fact that you can get more sound out of them with an amp. But the hd580 isn't exactly a very portable phone though.

Jul 24, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 15
I tested my HD600 with both my RiO Karma and a Muvo.

Yes, you can hear music.

Does it sound good? Subjective. (Realisticly "real-life/everyday-people" yes)

Is it better than a cheaper headphone when no amp is used? Probably, yes.

Can it sound better? Yes, much. (again subjective)

In other words, the "average joe" would probably find it quite satisfactory . . . . but this is Head-Fi
cool.gif

Personally, IF I was to use a full-size headphone with a DAP, I would definately use an amp.

btw: headphone choice can affect battery life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back