A friend needs a new TV...
Dec 27, 2007 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

OverlordXenu

Headphoneus Supremus
Their's broke. They want 1080p, bigger than 46", for around $2000. I was looking around, and I was thinking of recommending the "Sony KDS-60A3000 60 in. HDTV Television" to them, but I don't know how LCoS compares to LCD, or DLP.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Should they wait until the Superbowl for better deals?

Thanks.

Edit: Does anyone know how long the bulb on that Sony lasts? Or how much replacement bulbs cost? I can't find that info anywhere.

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 6
LCoS blows LCD and DLP away in my opinion. I shopped hard when I bought my LCoS (Sony speak = SXRD) and I couldn't be happier.

LCD and plasma can suffer from the screen door effect (you can see the space between the pixels). DLP can suffer from the rainbow effect (You see rainbows when you move your eyes).

I saw both in spades. I never see either with LCoS.

The bulb for my SXRD is $300. I've had the TV for two years now on the same bulb.

GAD

Dec 27, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, they ordered it. They do need a stand though. Any recommendations? They'd also like it to house their A/V equipment (ie. their receiver, dvd player, and cable box). They'd prefer it to be wood, but that doesn't matter as long as it looks nice. Budget is around $400.

Dec 28, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 6
You know what? I'm going to get one too. Sony just left the RPTV market, so I want to get one of these before they're gone.

Anyway, I need a DVD player. I figured, Oppo. So, what's the difference between the 980H and the 981HD? All I can see is that the 981 is more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back