A flood of Bel Canto DAC3 sales
Dec 17, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 25
a lot of people go out and buy the latest thing, maybe they jacked up the third edition and people are simply moving on... dac 1 was ok, dac 2 was really good, havent heard the 3 but perhaps it doesnt sound so nice.

Dec 17, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 25
Not too long ago we were overrun with HD580s on the FS threads, just recently a glut of RS-1s. Many of those DAC3s on AG have been there for awhile. So no, I don't think it has anything at all to do with the item in particular, just happenstance several are on the block right now. Bad time to sell one if you're moving on, great time to buy one if you're looking for a neutral DAC.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 25
... and no-one wants to ship overseas
frown.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 25
The DAC3 is not voltage selectable though IIRC, so someone in the EU (or South Africa like mysefl) or Australia etc. won't be able to use a US model
frown.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here you go progo

a bit expensive
AudiogoN ForSale: Bel Canto e.One DAC3

Thanks! I did offer for it but then I realized it would have cost me too much.
frown.gif
Still, compared to Finland's importer prices it's very well priced.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone has any idea why audiogon is flooded with Bel Canto 3s?
We've had a couple of bargain sales here as well.

People have bad taste?
smily_headphones1.gif

I love mine. If I didn't think it would get stolen at work I'd pick another one up.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 25
as i'm thinking about moving some of my music to a server-based system, i wouldn't mind picking up a DAC3 at around $1400-1500.

solid piece of equipment.

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as i'm thinking about moving some of my music to a server-based system, i wouldn't mind picking up a DAC3 at around $1400-1500.

solid piece of equipment.

Is it fairly priced for its level of performance?
Stello MK2 is cheaper ($1600 MSRP, $1000-1200 used) and you can get used Chord DAC 64 for the same price or cheaper ($1300-1900).
There are also Electrocompaniet ECD1 ($1100 last sale on audiogon) and NorthStar MKII ($1350 dealer demo on audiogon).

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 25
I have only heard, and now own, the DAC3. There are a ton of reviews on the dacs you mention, both here and elsewhere.

Some of the dacs you mention seem to stand out from the others, at least based on reviews. Part of the value likes in connectivity and output options. Your decision will in large part rest on what you expect the dac to produce. The ECD1 is reputed to be "musical" whereas the DAC3 is reputed to be neutral. I would agree the DAC3 is neutral.

Now that I own one I would have to say the DAC3 is an incredible value at the prices you listed. In fact one just sold on gon for $1350. I have no regrets

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have only heard, and now own, the DAC3. There are a ton of reviews on the dacs you mention, both here and elsewhere.

Some of the dacs you mention seem to stand out from the others, at least based on reviews. Part of the value likes in connectivity and output options. Your decision will in large part rest on what you expect the dac to produce. The ECD1 is reputed to be "musical" whereas the DAC3 is reputed to be neutral. I would agree the DAC3 is neutral.

Now that I own one I would have to say the DAC3 is an incredible value at the prices you listed. In fact one just sold on gon for $1350. I have no regrets

Thanks a lot for your comments. That's incredible price indeed. Seems like for being cornerstone component having biggest impact on the rest of the system, DACs are not reviewed as much as other equipment like amps, headphones and even cables. There are some great reviews from IronDreamer but that's pretty much it, and they do not cover any of the DACs mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back