A Fiio E3/E5 with Denon D1000/1001?
Jan 19, 2009 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dum656

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

from what i've read, i understand that the E3 and E5 slightly increase bass and volume, neither of which i mind. I'm going to be pairing these with a Denon D1001, will there be any noticeable improvement? Or will it make it worse? Also, between the E3 and E5, which would you recommend for these cans? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 7
E3 mite further recessed the already recessed mids on D1001.

dont know about E5 though.

have a budget around $75 and u can get a better amp

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 7
I have a Denon D1001 and Fiio E3. I did not like the combination. In fact, I did not like the E3 with anything, and a short listen of an E5 made me lose my interest in a few minutes. Your experience may vary depending on your expectations and intended use.

Not that they are necessarily bad amplifiers. They were not what I was looking for. While the E3 and E5 on the right setting can boost the bass and treble, you're getting quantity without quality.

The treble is harsh and grainy compared to well-executed portable amps. The bass lacked definition resulting in a unsatisfactory bass with the D1001. Sensitive IEMS - well, be ready to accept the hiss.

I think the E3 or E5 would be a great choice for poorer-performing headphones where less-than-stellar components do not stand out as much. Or use it in applications where the quality of amplification does not matter as much - like using your D1001 with a PSP or Nintendo DS to play games (nice bass rumble).

Other than that, Nocturnal310 has the right idea. If you're looking for a primary amp, you're probably better off spending a little more for something else. If you're looking for something to make the D1001 useable without worrying about audio quality, the Fiio fits the bill at a good price.

So whether the E3 or E5 is worth it depends on your expectations and intended application.

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 7
An E3 with a Denon D1001 makes it worse. I think my E3 makes all my other phones sound better though. IMO, the D1001's bass signature is exactly the way I want it as is, and the FiiO overemphasizes the bass on this 'phone.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 7
Nah!Not really for full sized cans.But fantastic with earphones,buds and efficient portable headphones like the Portapros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back