A few Zen Micro/Rio Carbon questions
Jan 27, 2005 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ender Wiggin

Head-Fier
What are all of the "extra features" that people talk about when suggesting purchasing the Micro over the Carbon? How do the two compare in size, and are they both supported as plug-and-play devices (no drivers needed)? Does the Carbon have a backlight? How's the Micro's To-Do-List work? How do the UI's compare?

I think I'm leaning towards the Carbon, for more battery life and from the pictures I've seen I like the look a bit better. But if the extra features of the Micro are really awesome, then I might change my mind.

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

What are all of the "extra features" that people talk about when suggesting purchasing the Micro over the Carbon? How do the two compare in size, and are they both supported as plug-and-play devices (no drivers needed)? Does the Carbon have a backlight? How's the Micro's To-Do-List work? How do the UI's compare

Well the extra features include:

FM Radio/Radio Recording
Mic (carbon has this as well)
Removable battery
Alarm (wake to music)
Sleep Timer
98 db S/N ratio
Contacts/Calendar/To do list
Custimizable menu
10 colors
1 year warranty

The Carbon is plug and play for both music and data, but with the micro you need software for music. However you can set a portion for driverless transfer of data.
Yes the Carbon has a backlight.
The UI's are both pretty good in my opinion, but I prefer the Micro's. However either one will do a great job.

Size-wise the carbon is thinner and lighter, however the micro is thinner (width wise). Both are very small and fit nicely into the pocket.

If you want features and great sound quality I would get the Micro. I own a Micro and couldn't be happier with it. However the Carbon is also an excellent alternative- I just feel the the Micro beats it out.

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.caliente
Well the extra features include:

FM Radio/Radio Recording
Mic (carbon has this as well)
Removable battery
Alarm (wake to music)
Sleep Timer
98 db S/N ratio
Contacts/Calendar/To do list
Custimizable menu
10 colors
1 year warranty

The Carbon is plug and play for both music and data, but with the micro you need software for music. However you can set a portion for driverless transfer of data.
Yes the Carbon has a backlight.
The UI's are both pretty good in my opinion, but I prefer the Micro's. However either one will do a great job.

Size-wise the carbon is thinner and lighter, however the micro is thinner (width wise). Both are very small and fit nicely into the pocket.

If you want features and great sound quality I would get the Micro. I own a Micro and couldn't be happier with it. However the Carbon is also an excellent alternative- I just feel the the Micro beats it out.

actually both are plug and play. you need to update the firmware on the micro though. but once you do that its set for plays-for-sure. the ui is much better on the micro. the to-do-list is a microsoft outlook thing. you just sync your outlook profile with your micro and it shows up. you cant on the other hand just ad things onto the to do list from the micro. you must be at a comp. with outlook. both of them look very sexy and the micro looks much better in real life mostly because of the cool glow that eminates fromt he sides. as for the carbon vs. micro you cant go too wrong either way just steer clear of the mini it doenst compare to either.
600smile.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 5
The most important 'extra feature' of the micro for me was the removable battery. This may not be that important to some people, but to me it was huge. Mine also came with 2 batteries, which was great. I also really like the fm radio because how else am i going to hear new music to download? However, I've come to really like a lot of the features and usability of the interface. I really like how you can customize the menu - I now have all the things I use right up there and the things I don't are gone. Not a big deal, but something I've found I like. I've never used the software on the micro, just the plug-and-play. It still uses a Creative window, but it's Very very simple and quick.

As for size, the carbon is a little thinner and .6oz lighter, but also noticeably wider. When I saw the carbon I thought 'oh, there's the carbon'; then when I saw the micro 2 seconds later, i thought 'Wow that thing is tiny!' You really have to see the micro in person to appreciate it.

I think the carbon has a manlier look to it, while the micro could be seen as 'cuter' (don't shoot me). I've also heard the micro has a little better sound quality.

But the main thing is that when I went and used both of them, the micro struck me, and the carbon did not. I especially preferred the UI of the micro. Maybe the opposite would happen for you. I think they are both good choices.

Jan 27, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
But the main thing is that when I went and used both of them, the micro struck me, and the carbon did not.

Exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back