A few questions
Jan 5, 2010 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Mintz

Head-Fier
First of all, I would like to apologize in advance if this post becomes rather lengthy. I recently found this website a few months ago while looking for a new pair of headphones. Someone had recommended me the denon 1001 which I bought and absolutely loved. Since everyone who had helped me before on this forum was very friendly and helpful I decided to come back with some more questions. I use a pair of Sony MDR V300's that are my "beat around pair" that I will wear in the rain, am a little rough with and basically just have for situations where I do not want to take the risk of damaging my Denons. After listening to the Denons and comparing them with the Sony's I know there has to be a better pair that I can get relatively cheap that I can toss around a bit. I should note that these headphones would be used out of my ipod and be unamped. Now on to my questions,

1. My first question is related to my Denons. I am often seeing posts on these forums praising the 1001's but saying that they have slightly too much bass. Personally I wish they had some more and am wondering if I would be considered a basshead? I think the reason why I wish they had more bass is because I listen to mostly mid-to-early 90's rap. A lot of stuff produced by Pete Rock, The Beatminers, Eric Sermon, ect... Basically rap music that is bass heavy. I enjoy having quite a thump in my headphones when listening to rap.

2. My second question is about what I wrote in the beginning of my post. I am looking for a slightly cheaper pair of headphones, maybe between $60-100 that I can be a little rough with, unlike my Denons. If anyone has a recommendations of something similar to the Denons that might have slightly more bass for around that price that would be great. My only requirements are that they are built well, have good bass and overall good sound quality, and are not IEMs. I bought the Super Fi 5 Pros and returned them because they just felt too weird being inside my ear. Also, if they don't require an amp that would be a plus as I do not have one (more on this in question 4).

3. I loved the 1001 so much that I was thinking that my next expensive purchase, that will most likely not be anytime soon, will be the D2000. I have read a lot of great reviews about them on this site. However, I am also intrigued by the Sennheiser HD 25's and may consider those instead of the D2000. I have searched the forum and can not find any posts comparing the two. I was wondering if there are any members that own both pairs or knows both well that can reccommend which might be better for someone like myself who listens to a lot of hip hop?

4. I currently do not own an amp, but would consider buying one in the future if it would greatly increase sound for the headphones. I looked into the input impedance of the D2000, the 1001 and the HD 25. The D2000 have a 25 ohms impedance, the 1001 is 32 ohms & the HD 25 is 70 ohms. I have done a little research on this and to my understanding the impedance determines how much power is needed to run the headphones properly. Now I think that the 1001 I own sound great without an amp, if I got the D2000 I don't think I would need an amp since the impedance is less than the 1001's. However, the HD 25 have an impedance of 70, more than twice of the 1001. Does this mean I would need an amp to run the HD 25's properly? I have also read that the D2000 & the 1001 sound better with an amp. Couldn't this put too much power into the headphones and potentially damage them? I am not to knowledgeable on portable amps but figured if you have more power going to a device than it is meant to have that it would cause that device to damage.

Any input on any of these four questions would be greatly appreciated! Sorry again for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for the help!

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 2
For something more bassy, cheaper, and more durable/portable than the D1001 I recommend the JVC HA-M750. Great toss-about. That or maybe a used M-Audio Q40 if you can find a set.

Keep in mind that power requirements are a function of both impedance and sensitivity, and sometimes both figures still won't give you the full picture. The HD25 do benefit from an amp a bit more than the D1001, but they certainly don't need one to provide an excellent listening experience. Can't speak for the D2000 personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back