A few questions regarding Creative X-Fi cards and gaming
Feb 3, 2007 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
I'm awaiting delivery of a Logitech X-540 5.1 system for my desktop rig and am contemplating the purchase of an X-Fi card. The only game I really play these days is BF2 and from what I've read these cards really take the game to another level.... particularly setting sound quality to ultra high.

Are the more basic cards worthwhile? I'm not springing for one of their big dogs, but for $50 I can easily rationalize a gamer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102006

Also, is there any real difference between the X-Fi XtremeMusic and X-Fi XtremeGamer as far as gaming performance?

I read a bit about problems with nforce4 mobo's (which I'm running), but have read some recent posts of Creative's newer cards having updated firmware that addresses these issues.

What do you guys think? The gamer worthwhile? Should I give it a go?

Feb 3, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 16
Go for the XtremeMusic if possible
wink.gif
. They really are great cards for gaming.

Feb 3, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for the XtremeMusic if possible
wink.gif
. They really are great cards for gaming.

Agreed. The XtremeMusic occasionally goes on sale at newegg nowadays for around $70. I don't think I could go back. Playing any game is brought to a whole new level. Sounds great with music as well.
I don't really know anything about the XtremeGamer, so I can't comment that.
Either card would make a difference. I just have had a very good experience with the XtremeMusic.
I don't have BF2, but I installed the demo, and the positioning and 3d effects with the card are incredible. Very effective. I play CS:S alot, and it's so easy to tell where people are located/shooting from/running to.

Good luck!

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 16
thanks for the quick responses guys. I've been doing a bit of digging and it appears the xtremegamer actually replaced the now discontinued xtrememusic card and is spec'ed exactly the same, but without the gold plating and midi port...

Time to pull the trigger I think.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 16
The only differences I could find between Gamer and Music were the connections, although I don't know if they use different chips. If you're aligned more to gaming, go for the Gamer if it's cheaper.

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the quick responses guys. I've been doing a bit of digging and it appears the xtremegamer actually replaced the now discontinued xtrememusic card and is spec'ed exactly the same, but without the gold plating and midi port...

Time to pull the trigger I think.

Actually, that's not a midi port. That's a port to the external box on the Elite Pro.

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 16
thanks guys. I think this quick fix will eliminate all need I might have for a more expensive model. http://img482.imageshack.us/my.php?i...fifpmodbq5.jpg

As long as I can get my front panel audio I'll be goods...

Now I've just gotta hold my breath till monday when it arrives... I'm looking forward to hearing BF2 in ultra!!

Feb 3, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 16
the audio doesn't have any of the hardware support enabled for gaming... it will be good for music/movies (though if those were my only uses I'd probably use a chaintech), but use the xtremegamer I just bought is the lowest end card you should consider for gaming.

Feb 4, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks guys. I think this quick fix will eliminate all need I might have for a more expensive model. http://img482.imageshack.us/my.php?i...fifpmodbq5.jpg

As long as I can get my front panel audio I'll be goods...

Now I've just gotta hold my breath till monday when it arrives... I'm looking forward to hearing BF2 in ultra!!

You won't be able to use the Ultra setting with your Xtremegamer. Only the Fatality and Elite version can enable the Ultra setting because of the extra RAM. You can still set it to High though.

Feb 4, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ugester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a quick question regarding the x-fis. At frys i saw the most basic x-fi (xtreme audio) for 40$. Is this card much worse than the gamer or xtrememusic? thanks

Yea, Xtremeaudio is crap.

Feb 4, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #12 of 16
Xtreme Audio is just a repacked Live! 24-bit/Audigy SE/Audigy Value/are there some more w/ some software addons like Crystalizer.

XtremeGamer is the only X-Fi PCI card w/ Optical Output onboard (mini-TOSLINK).

jiitee

Feb 4, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You won't be able to use the Ultra setting with your Xtremegamer. Only the Fatality and Elite version can enable the Ultra setting because of the extra RAM. You can still set it to High though.

Weird, I'm running BF2 on Ultra High sound settings without problems, on my XtremeMusic.

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird, I'm running BF2 on Ultra High sound settings without problems, on my XtremeMusic.

Phew! I was concerned. My processor is enough to beast the game out to sq high when there aren't too many people on the map. Looking forward to ultra....

Got my cheapie 5.1 system set (logi x-540) now I just need a cheap set of headphones for night time play.... toying with the akg k81djs.

Feb 4, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 16
Yeah the extra RAM don´t allow any extra effects it´s just for performance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back