A Few Questions on the Nitrus
Dec 7, 2003 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

stevesolo

100+ Head-Fier
I am ready to order the Nitrus as a Christmas present for my teenage niece but had a few questions before getting. Maybe someone here might be able to help me get them answered. Austonia, perhaps you could be helpful here

How user friendly is the software?

How good is the good tech support? 800 #?

Is the battery user replaceable? Probably not, any idea of the estimated useful life of this lithium ion battery?

How many MP3 tracks can be stored recorded at 128Kbs?

Is it USB 1.1 backwards compatible?

How is the fidelity compared to the Nomad Zen 2.0?

Does it come with any kind of case?

What headphones are included in the package?

What is the manufacturers warantee period, the ususal 90 days ?

Does buy.com offer an extended service plan on this unit?

Dec 7, 2003 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 9
I doubt the battery is user-replaceable

I think it comes with Sennheiser MX300 earbuds

USB2.0 in both iterations is backwards compatible

I don't get store service plans, it's easier to just send it to the manufacturer...even though my SP90 sucked, they successfully completed replacing it when it broke with no snafus.

Dec 7, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 9
There is a case that has been developed for it, but it's not available yet and doesn't come with the Nitrus.

I'm betting the Zen sounds better, it has a more powerful output, but it is a much larger and heavier player...a totally different thing to consider.

375 songs is the quoted figure for how many 128KB MP3s can be stored on the Nitrus.

Dec 7, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 9
no case, mx300's, 90 days

zen nx and xtra sound noticeably better than nitrus in a-b comparison, but without that, the nitrus sounds fine.

i returned the nitrus because of the zen's sonic superiority, but then returned the zen (nx and xtra) in favor of the rio karma because the zen size was just too cumbersome.

i miss the zen sound quality if i think about it, but i can enjoy music on the karma just fine and it is SO much more convenient and ergonomic.

bought the karma for my partner who has little patience with tech stuff...otherwise the nitrus would be first choice for its size...thing is, the karma can be filled with music by me, enough to last for a long time...whereas nitrus would need to have music replaced fairly regularly, which would be a hassle for some folks...

Dec 25, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 9
I just gave a listen to the Nitrus I am giving as a present tomorrow. The fidelity is not bad but must adjust the EQ. As most would probably agree the Zen is far superior but thats a different animal.

Is anyone using it while running?

What do you think about using the Nitrus for gym workouts including jogging. Can it tolerate the motion without damaging the hard drive?

Dec 25, 2003 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by stevesolo
I just gave a listen to the Nitrus I am giving as a present tomorrow. The fidelity is not bad but must adjust the EQ. As most would probably agree the Zen is far superior but thats a different animal.

Is anyone using it while running?

What do you think about using the Nitrus for gym workouts including jogging. Can it tolerate the motion without damaging the hard drive?

ya it works fine while working out. my drive-based DAPs survive quite a lot of bumbling around in my pockets all day

Dec 25, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
ya it works fine while working out. my drive-based DAPs survive quite a lot of bumbling around in my pockets all day

Austonia or anyone, How do you carry your Nitrus at the gym if you have no pockets?
I am thinking of a small neoprene pouch that Sony makes for I think an MD player. Circut City sells it for $15

Any ideas? Thanks

Dec 25, 2003 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by noguilt
no case, mx300's, 90 days

zen nx and xtra sound noticeably better than nitrus in a-b comparison, but without that, the nitrus sounds fine.

i returned the nitrus because of the zen's sonic superiority, but then returned the zen (nx and xtra) in favor of the rio karma because the zen size was just too cumbersome.

i miss the zen sound quality if i think about it, but i can enjoy music on the karma just fine and it is SO much more convenient and ergonomic.

bought the karma for my partner who has little patience with tech stuff...otherwise the nitrus would be first choice for its size...thing is, the karma can be filled with music by me, enough to last for a long time...whereas nitrus would need to have music replaced fairly regularly, which would be a hassle for some folks...

A bit OT but you should try ogg's with the Karma and try comparing that to the Zen. It's a bit biased of a way to compare, but then again, it's not. The Karma does have ogg support, while the zen doesn't.
smily_headphones1.gif

Karma + ogg = heaven for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back