A Few Questions (New to Head-Fi)
May 16, 2006 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kynetek

New Head-Fier
I'm new to head-fi and I was looking into getting a nice set up for my computer. I was thinking of getting the X-Fi Xtreme Music soundcard because I have read good reviews. For the actual cans I was thinking of Senn HD580s, AKG K501s, or if you have any other ideas let me know. I will be using this for gaming as well as music so I need a good all around setup. I don't know anything when it comes to amps. What would be a good amp to use hooked up to my computer? What about an amp for my iAudio Cowon A2? I've been looking at the Pa2v2, MINT, and CMOY amps but I am pretty clueless so let me know what you think. My last question might be a dumb one, but I havn't seen it discussed too much. Will a good setup like this give me great sound for gaming, like a 5.1 speaker set? Thanks for all the help!
-Kynetek

May 16, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 6
First off an amp will help w/ any headphone. For $60 the PA2V2 cant be beat. For gaming the Audio-Technica A500 are nice, but if you plan on using the can for music also you'll probably want to look at the AT A900. The X-fi is a very good gaming sound card so you'll be fine using that as a source. Also I really like the AKG K501. They probably aren't the best gaming cans, though I tried them w/ rainbow six and they seem above average. They just lack a little bass but they are amazing for music/movies.

btw welcome to headfi - wallet already feeling lighter?
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kynetek
I'm new to head-fi and I was looking into getting a nice set up for my computer. I was thinking of getting the X-Fi Xtreme Music soundcard because I have read good reviews. For the actual cans I was thinking of Senn HD580s, AKG K501s, or if you have any other ideas let me know. I will be using this for gaming as well as music so I need a good all around setup. I don't know anything when it comes to amps. What would be a good amp to use hooked up to my computer? What about an amp for my iAudio Cowon A2? I've been looking at the Pa2v2, MINT, and CMOY amps but I am pretty clueless so let me know what you think. My last question might be a dumb one, but I havn't seen it discussed too much. Will a good setup like this give me great sound for gaming, like a 5.1 speaker set? Thanks for all the help!
-Kynetek

Look into the the Little Dot Micro+ as the amp, it's only $10 more than the PA2V2 and is more neutral (and about the same size, just a tad bigger tho). One amp can pull double-duty for use with your computer and A2. IMO you should use a low-impedance portable headphone with the A2 (like the KSC75) instead of the HD580 or K501, so you don't have to use an amp.

I don't understand the 5.1 question, as 5.1-channel sound is a different game. You're not going to get convincing "surround sound" from headphones that claim to offer it. If you meant the sound quality of most 5.1 computer speakers compared to good headphones, good headphones will win out.

May 16, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 6
The virtual surround sound on the x-fi (CMSS-3D) is amazing with a good pair of headphones, it simulates 9.1 surround sound, and in games you will have trouble believing the sound is only coming from two drivers.

May 17, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for all the replys and the input! I guess I can add that I listen to mostly indie music like the flaming lips, wolf parade, modest mouse style music. I listen to a variety of music, but that would be the majority. I dont know if I really like the audio technicas, are there any other good options that would suit music and gaming well? No one said much about the HD580's? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on the amps! I'm also glad to hear the x-fi works out great for gaming with a good set of headphones, 003. Well thanks again for all the replys, keep em comin!
-Kynetek

May 17, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 6
BeyerDynamic DT 770/80 Pro...that might do the trick for both gaming and music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back