A few questions before my first purchase
Jul 11, 2016 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

luxxum

New Head-Fier
Hello, This is my first foray into higher-end headphones, and I have had some trouble getting information for my first purchase.

I am trying to find a headset which will meet the following criteria:

1. a sturdy headset that will last me for many years in both casing and sound. (For a 400 dollar headset I would expect at least 5           years of good sound quality, but I don't know a lot on the subject. I don't think I play songs extremely loudly, but I do listen to a       lot of electronica and as a student tend to have them on a lot.)

2. able to play any kind of music and have it sound ok.

3. at least some kind of surround sound for when I play video games with friends.

In other words, a generalist, with heavy emphasis on a long lifespan.

I am considering buying An Oppo Pm-3, an Audigy FX soundcard, and a modmic. This just about maxes my budget at just under 500 dollars.

Besides wondering if the above purchases are a good idea in general, I have a few others (sorry, there are a lot, and some of them are more general questions than having to do with the purchase):

1. It is my understanding that different kinds of headsets, such a "bass-heavy" headsets are better for certain kinds of music. I assume that a "neutral" sound, like the pm-3 gives, means that it can do any kind of music pretty well and have it sound fine. This is pretty important because I listen to a pretty broad range of music. Is my assumption correct?

2. Along the same line of thought, I am assuming that neutral means that the music is mostly untampered with, and you are therefore hearing more or less exactly what the artist made without modifications. Is this correct?

2. Certain headsets list themselves as 5.1 or 7.1 surround. Does that mean that you cannot get surround sound from headphones like the pm-3? I have heard that sound cards can reproduce it (this is why I am considering getting the FX, along with it being all the amp the pm-3 should need), but have had trouble finding a good explanation.

3. I am pretty wary about putting magnets near electronics, and the modmics use small magnets to hold them in place. Could this lead to long-term degradation of the headphones?

4. Are planar magnetics significantly better dynamics? from what I understand the force on the membrane is spread out over a wider area, which sounds like less wear, and therefore a longer life-span. Is the sound significantly better as well? I wouldn't mind getting away with a cheaper dynamic headset if the difference is sound and lifespan isn't great.

Thank you in advance for any help

Jul 11, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2 of 7
I can't answer fully as I'm at work (albeit doing my job!) but the PM-3 is a pretty good one to try. I certainly like them but they aren't to others' tastes on occasion. We've sold loads from here with a tiny return rate, so that's probably as good an answer as any. I'd take issue with the 'neutral' description though - the PM-3 is on the warm side of neutral, with less emphasis on higher frequencies. Detail is still good, they'll certainly be good for gaming purposes in terms of the sound they put out.

The whole 5.1/7.1 thing is marketing really - headphones don't have a very good way of implementing this and I've heard of models with multiple speakers causing issues with imaging. You'll be better off with a standard stereo pair in my opinion.

Planars aren't better than dynamics, just different. There are advantages with planar such as better sub-bass response, but generally you'll get more for less money if you stick with dynamic drivers. PM-3s excepted, as they are very good value.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 7
  I can't answer fully as I'm at work (albeit doing my job!) but the PM-3 is a pretty good one to try. I certainly like them but they aren't to others' tastes on occasion. We've sold loads from here with a tiny return rate, so that's probably as good an answer as any. I'd take issue with the 'neutral' description though - the PM-3 is on the warm side of neutral, with less emphasis on higher frequencies. Detail is still good, they'll certainly be good for gaming purposes in terms of the sound they put out.

The whole 5.1/7.1 thing is marketing really - headphones don't have a very good way of implementing this and I've heard of models with multiple speakers causing issues with imaging. You'll be better off with a standard stereo pair in my opinion.

Planars aren't better than dynamics, just different. There are advantages with planar such as better sub-bass response, but generally you'll get more for less money if you stick with dynamic drivers. PM-3s excepted, as they are very good value.

Thanks!

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 7
See this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/portable-luxury-lower-price-oppo-pm-2. Buying the PM-2 and the pads for the PM-1 could get you the same audio quality. And with that sound card you are getting, don't need the balanced cables. Summary from the 2nd page:

For me, the PM-2 is so similar to the PM-1 that I have a very difficult time separating the two. The stock synthetic leather PM-2 pad is too sizzly for me, and were it not for the opportunity to swap it for the PM-1 original leather pad I probably wouldn't put it up on the Wall of Fame. But with the PM-1 leather pad I find it pretty much the equal of the PM-1 with Alternate pads.
Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/portable-luxury-lower-price-oppo-pm-2-page-2

So then you could invest in a better sound card. Or, do like many people do. Get an inexpensive sound card with the virtual surround processing you want, then invest in an external DAC and amp with optical input, such as the Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Schiit Magni 2.

Jul 11, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 7
See this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/portable-luxury-lower-price-oppo-pm-2. Buying the PM-2 and the pads for the PM-1 could get you the same audio quality. And with that sound card you are getting, don't need the balanced cables. Summary from the 2nd page:
So then you could invest in a better sound card. Or, do like many people do. Get an inexpensive sound card with the virtual surround processing you want, then invest in an external DAC and amp with optical input, such as the Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Schiit Magni 2.

Unfortunately, that is outside of my price range of about 500$.

Jul 11, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Oh...my bad. I thought you said PM-1, not PM-3.

If you are headphones are for use in private, one thing you might consider is open headphones. They give a bigger soundstage than closed headphones, which is good for gaming and listening to music. Just no isolation from your surroundings and they leak sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back