A few questions about the Go-Vibe 5.
Feb 12, 2007 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

SpacemanSpiff23

100+ Head-Fier
Is the official site the only place to buy them new?

What does the 24v power supply do that a 12v won't?

Does the amp recharge a rechargable battery when it's plugged in?

Feb 12, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the official site the only place to buy them new?

Yes, I believe that it is.

Quote:

What does the 24v power supply do that a 12v won't?

This depends on the op-amps used. For example, with the standard LM6171/LM6172, the optional AD8610/AD8620, and a few others, the 24V external power supply allows the Go-Vibe V5 and V5S to perform at a much higher level than a single 9V battery alone, by increasing both voltage delivery and current potential.

With my Go-Vibe V5S, I've also constructed a battery pack, so I can use two 9.6V rechargeables, which will effectively deliver 22V to the amp when fully-charged.

Now, some Go-Vibe V5s and the new Go-Vibe V6 employ AD8397/AD825 op-amps. These deliver more current with 9V than the other versions with 24V, due to the nature of these op-amps. And they have an absolute limit of 12V, hence the smaller power supply option for this version.

Quote:

Does the amp recharge a rechargable battery when it's plugged in?

In the Go-Vibe V5, no. But with the new Go-Vibe V6, yes, it has a battery charger built-in.

Feb 12, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 14
If I was getting the Low Gain V5 (not the V5S) would 12v be enough, or would it still benefit from the 24v power supply?

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

If I was getting the Low Gain V5 (not the V5S) would 12v be enough, or would it still benefit from the 24v power supply?

Again, it depends on the op-amps, as outlined above. I believe that 24V would benefit the low-gain as well, but best consult with Norm for his expert opinion. He won't steer you wrong!
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 14
Will do, thanks for the help.

One more question, if I were to get the Elpac 24v DC WM080-1950-760 linear regulated power supply, where would the best place to get it be?

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's available from http://www.newark.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp and http://www.alliedelec.com/. The problem with both of these is that they don't tell you shipping when you order. I got mine from Allied for $37, and guessed what the cheapest shipper would be.

That seems kind of expensive for a power adapter. Couldn't I just get a 24v power adapter from best buy or radio shack for much cheaper?

Feb 12, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

That seems kind of expensive for a power adapter. Couldn't I just get a 24v power adapter from best buy or radio shack for much cheaper?

You could, but it probably wouldn't be a linear regulated supply and you would risk damaging the amp.

See Norm's power supply page HERE.

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's available from http://www.newark.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp and http://www.alliedelec.com/. The problem with both of these is that they don't tell you shipping when you order. I got mine from Allied for $37, and guessed what the cheapest shipper would be.

How much was shipping when you ordered it? Or did you never find out?

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #11 of 14
After buying all the periferals and accessories needed for the V5 I think its going to cost me more than my Headphones did.

Since its my first amp, and my first real headphones, any upgrade I make will be a huge leap forward. I've decided that the Xenos 0HA-RHP is a much better idea for me.

But thanks for all the info.

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

How much was shipping when you ordered it? Or did you never find out?

It is $28 on Allied's site, and I got charged $2 tax and $6 shipping (USPS Standard), and shipping was very fast.

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

After buying all the periferals and accessories needed for the V5 I think its going to cost me more than my Headphones did.

Since its my first amp, and my first real headphones, any upgrade I make will be a huge leap forward. I've decided that the Xenos 0HA-RHP is a much better idea for me.

But thanks for all the info.

What headphones are you going to be using the amp with?

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #14 of 14
A900. I know they don't need the amp, but it will make them sound a little better. Plus, It will be a lot easier to have the headphones plugged in close to me, rather than behind my computer.

I would be using it on my Senn px200s every once in a while, just for fun, would it do anything for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back