A few questions about mixing and surround sound
Nov 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TXBDan

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have two questions:

When you use a mixer like the Mixamp, it is mixing voice and game sound, right? Is the voice the other player's voice in the game? Or is it mixing the game sound with your own voice? Does this device take the microphone input as well? Looking at the Mixamp Quick Start Guide, i don't see a mic input. If it doesn't have one, then I guess you plug your mic directly into the PC bypassing the Mixamp all together? I guess its intended for headphones instead of headsets with a built in mic if so.

Secondly, do any PC video games create a virtual Dolby-like surround effect for stereo headphones? Battlefield 4, for example, has a surround setting in the Audio options that is available even with headphones selected. Or maybe the headphones is simply an EQ preset. 

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 8
  When you use a mixer like the Mixamp, it is mixing voice and game sound, right? Is the voice the other player's voice in the game? Or is it mixing the game sound with your own voice? Does this device take the microphone input as well? Looking at the Mixamp Quick Start Guide, i don't see a mic input. If it doesn't have one, then I guess you plug your mic directly into the PC bypassing the Mixamp all together? I guess its intended for headphones instead of headsets with a built in mic if so.

Secondly, do any PC video games create a virtual Dolby-like surround effect for stereo headphones? Battlefield 4, for example, has a surround setting in the Audio options that is available even with headphones selected. Or maybe the headphones is simply an EQ preset. 

The Astro Mix-amp is the better choice for gaming consoles, internal/external sound cards are better for PCs.

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 8
I see, that helps narrow it down. I intend to use this for PC gaming. I recently got a pair of Skullcandy SLYRs based on the positive reviews on this site and being only $80. So far honesty, they sound pretty good and are meeting my needs. The techie/audio guy in me is just interested in taking it to the next level... hah. That and I'm interested in Dolby Headphone. After listening to a few demos i think it would really be helpful.

I also used to dabble in recording and other audio stuff. I had a pair of AT M50 headphones which i loved, but i left them in a taxi a few months ago. I also have an old Presonus Firebox that i could use as a DAC and headphone amp. It's pretty darn clean, but the amp is very powerful, it overwhelms most headphones and only leaves a few detents on the knob to control volume making the adjustments very discrete which is annoying.

I'm tempted to return the skullycandys and pickup a decent pair of "real" headphones like the AT M50s and a Sound Blaster Z. The Z comes with a mic so that would be covered. But that's a $250 option vs. a $80 option.  The other option would be to return the skull candys, pick up the AT M50s, use an old vocal mic, and use the Presonus a DAC, amp, and mic preamp. I'd still lack Dolby Headphone and it would be sort of a cumbersome setup.. but it'd sound good. 

I'll be doing more research. Thanks all :)

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 8
The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $27, comes with Dolby Headphone.
The ATH-M50s are not considered good headphones for surround sound gaming.
Sennheiser HD558 ($130) might be a better choice.
You can get any add-on mic you like.

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 8
Ah, the Asus Xonar looks like a great solution for me. There is a Microcenter right down the street and I can pick it up for $29. For now I think i'll keep using the skullcandy phones and get an adapter to break out the mic to a separate plug. Then i should be rolling with Dolby Headphone and still able to use the mic. 

Thanks a lot! 

Nov 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 8
So i took your advice and got the Xonar DG. It was only $19.99 after rebate. I hooked it up to my Skullcandy SLYRs using a break out adapter cable so that i could use the mic and headphones.

I must say Dolby Headphone is pretty cool. It really works and it all sounds great. One of these days I'll upgrade to better headphones, but for now this setting is working out great and the headsets still work with my PS3.

Victory! 

Thanks a lot!

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 8
  So i took your advice and got the Xonar DG. It was only $19.99 after rebate. I hooked it up to my Skullcandy SLYRs using a break out adapter cable so that i could use the mic and headphones.

I must say Dolby Headphone is pretty cool. It really works and it all sounds great. One of these days I'll upgrade to better headphones, but for now this setting is working out great and the headsets still work with my PS3.

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back