a few questions about gigabeat's and new toshiba players
Jan 20, 2006 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fguihen

100+ Head-Fier
i wana get a new player with more storage capacity. i really like the look of the gigabeat series , but its hard to find any useful info on them. are there any owners here. what do you think of the player, its build quality, screen quality, battery life, sound quality etc...

also, what is the model of the new gigabeat that plays mpeg movies? when does it go on sale?

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 10
I was about to get a Toshiba Gigabeat MEG-X30 30 GB Black. But the "gigaroom" program that they require to transfer music pushed me away. Also the program converts the music files to some encrypted file, so you can't transfer to other computers. Though there seems to be a way to get around this. I just didn't feel that I wanted to deal with all of that. Also the program is buggy on some computers for some reasons. Heard this from other owners. You can download it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GTC188NU (The file is kinda big. 59 megabytes.)

I have personally used the MEG-F40 40 GB Silver. I must say the screen is VERY nice. All I can say is that if you bought one of the newer gigabeats (either X-Series or F-Series) you will not regret it because of the screen. Although it doesn't play videos. You can view pictures only. (Just found out new S-Series can play video.)

The X-Series is available at either www.warehouse123.com or www.geekstuff4U.com

I listened to the MEG-F40 for a short period of time. About 15 minutes. I used my Westone UM2. This gigabeat, F40, did not have any hiss with the UM2s. From my short audition I didn't hear a hiss, but with more time I am sure I could hear a VERY faint hiss. Besides that the F40 sounded bright. Actually very bright, for my M3L is bright, but the F40 is a little brighter. The bass on the F40 is detailed, but there's just not enough deep bass. With more time I could work the equalizer on the F40 though. Don't get me wrong the F40 sounds very nice. Just going to take sometime getting use to.

Build quality of the gigabeat F40 is as good as any other DAP out there. I think my M3L is VERY solid and the F40 would be ranked right up there with the M3L.

The battery life is rated at 16 hours. I would imagine this is good enough. It is not GREAT battery life, but good enough. Nothing anyone couldn't live with. Also the battery life goes down when using photo viewing.

You can visit www.mygigabeat.com for more information on the gigabeats.

P.S. Looks like I found a new gigabeat when looking up info. for you. It's called the S-Series. You'll get more info. if you visit www.mygigabeat.com.

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 10
Here's a few pics that made me REALLY want a gigabeat:

blacktoshibamegx300aj.jpg

viewofwallpaperformegx306le.jpg

shiftofscreentotheleftmegx304u.jpg

Jan 21, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 10
The one the in picture is the Toshiba Gigabeat MEG-X30.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Istasi
Toshida is coming out with the Gigabeat S this spring. It looks pretty promising.

Well not for me. Not until Rockbox makes a firmware for it or Toshiba stops making it a requirement to use gigaroom. Plus I just don't like touch sensitive controls.

Jan 22, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Well not for me. Not until Rockbox makes a firmware for it or Toshiba stops making it a requirement to use gigaroom. Plus I just don't like touch sensitive controls.

The new S series does not use Gigaroom - it's just Portable Media Center, so Windows Media integration. It also isn't a touch sensitive cross thing.

SO there you go.

Jan 22, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 10
Wait a minute... So the new S-Series does not require any software to transfer music? It does encrypt the music to some weird format? And Toshiba got rid of the touch controls? Wow this does sound good. The S-Series just maybe my next DAP!
icon10.gif
Now if they'll just get it to the US. I know the X-Series hasn't made it here yet.

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 10
well weather the s series comes to the US or europe il be getting one. Since it uses a microsoft OS, i dont think it will encrypt the files. it also could be drag and drop, but not fully sure yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back