A few questions about Cowon S9's long term usability/durability.
Dec 21, 2009 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iPoodz

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I've been reading up, and know everything I wanted to know about SQ, codec support, and UI about the S9 and its competitors. Now, it may not be the best in any one of these categories, but I've weighed the pros/cons of what I'm looking for, and it came up on top.

However, after reading a few threads on iAudiophile (Cowon's board), I saw numerous reports of problems that could severely decrease the usability/durability of this player. I like to take these things with a grain of salt, so I'd like to ask the owners how serious they think these problems are.
  1. S9's glass screen seems to be prone cracking. It seems like even one drop on the ground can cause it to crack/shatter. I've owned the iPod Touch 1G, and this was not an issue. I'm pretty good about keeping my gadgets out of harms way, but there might be a drop or two under normal use conditions.
  2. S9s seem to be relatively easy to brick (based on the impression I got, reading the threads on iAudiophile). Removing the cable while files are being transferred seems to be an easy way to do this. Why? If it's data that's being written, and not a part of the firmware, I don't see why removing the cable should brick it. Again, going back to the iPod, removing the cable would not be advised, but it would not do anything bad to the player, especially not brick it. Can any of you guys comment on this?
  3. If you encounter a problem with the S9 (like the ones mentioned above), how does Cowon deal with it? With my iPod (at least in the first year), any problem could usually be solved by taking it to the store, and honestly telling them what happened, at which point they'd give me a refurb, or new unit. I guess if the above issues are not that prevalent, then this isn't an issue. However, if they are, then this could be important.

Thanks for any insight S9 users can provide. I'm really careful with my purchases, and I thought I had it all figured out, until I saw numerous reports of these problems.

I'm interested in the hassle-free nature of the S9 (along with the amazing codec support for videos), but don't want to trade the issues I had with the iPod (iTunes on Windows, lots of conversions, so-so battery life) for new ones (glass shattering, easy to brick).

I'm not completely stubborn, and may actually go for the 32GB Touch (3rd Gen), Zune HD, or something else you guys recommend, if the S9 issues really are bad. Also, I'm open to just scrapping the whole PMP thing, and going for a simple MP3 player like the Clip+ or iRiver E30, because video support isn't necessary, although it would be nice.

If you read this far, thanks, and thanks for any help you can provide!

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 11
Personally I've never come across a problem that a format wouldn't cure. But the number of times I've had to format as the only cure to an issue (I use both Macs and PC's) are way too high.

Supportwise, over here I've had decent experiences with the distributor, who are not actually obliged to support me (the shop is under normal situations here, and this Cowon retailer is absolutely hopeless. It's the first time I've been provoked enough to take my attorney with me). But the failures which are primarily firmware-related are of concern.

Corning Gorilla Glass is very tough, but it can't defy the fact that it is glass in the end... If you treat it well and case/skin it, I don't really see any problems at all. If you abuse it, it may be more prone to damage given the less substantial overall construction than competing players.

I like the UCI's and what the user community has achieved with it, but the bells and whistles on the sound are a needless distraction if you are an audiophile in the normal sense... and if you take that out of the equation, the S9 is merely median in terms of sound quality.

And the 'amazing' codec support for video at least is to me kind of irrelevant, as most of the stuff that I actually want to watch is increasingly in H.264 and M4V which is not supported by the S9 without a transcode. The least painful way to do that is with the Jetaudio utility, and that does not have the speediest transcoder on the block. The same to a lesser degree goes for a fair number of AAC files I've amassed... once again, easily transcodeable but I shouldn't really need to in this day and age.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for your thought out answer. Much of what I was reading was buyers justifying their purchases to themselves and convincing others of the same. I'd be buying online, since in the US, there are no retailers for Cowon.

I thought the video support was great, because I usually watch scene rips of TV shows which I can't watch because of work/studying, and those are almost always DivX AVIs. Thinking on it now, however, I see that I just want an device for the music, if the cost for video support is a hassle.

I wasn't aware that AAC isn't supported.
frown.gif

I guess now I have to figure out whether to go with something that's proven to be good (SQ wise) like the Sony X, iPod, P3, or Zune (to an extent), or just go with with the Clip+, D2+, or E30 (although, I'd have to get an amp to power my cans).

Any thoughts from anyone who may have been in this situation?

Thanks, bangraman.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 11
Sounds like you really don't want a fancy touch PMP (S9, ZuneHD, iTouch)

get a D2+ or a Clip+

You're going to need an amp with any of the players if you have high-impedance phones, i don't know why you think you won't with the PMPs.

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 11
Well, you're right that I don't really need a fancy touch PMP, but the reason I'm considering them unamped is because the iPod touch I have (which I hear has a 30mW output on both channels, as does the Zune), can adequately power my full sized cans unamped, with not too much loss in SQ.
{at about 75% of iPod Touch maximum volume}

I'm guessing that something like Clip+ won't have as strong a power output, especially given its relatively small battery. The D2+ could definitely do the job (37mW output), but I hear that the SQ is not as good as the S9/X/Touch {don't know too much about the ZuneHD SQ}.

It just seems like the best technology is in the latest gadgets, and the latest gadgets happen to be fancy PMPs. The fact that I know I won't need an amp for the newer PMPs is nice, where the older/more utilitarian PMPs may not be as expensive (leaving more amp money), but might not have the best SQ on the market.

Thanks for your input though; it gives me things to think about!

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 11
i wouldn't put the touch in the same SQ category as the S9. the S9 sounds much better than my friends iTouch through my HD555s - cleaner, fuller, more alive, and that's before i turn on the excellent EQ.

i haven't heard the sony though. forget the zune.

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Hounos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wouldn't put the touch in the same SQ category as the S9. the S9 sounds much better than my friends iTouch through my HD555s - cleaner, fuller, more alive, and that's before i turn on the excellent EQ.

i haven't heard the sony though. forget the zune.

There's sound quality, and there's Cowon's BBE implementation. One is not the other.

i.e. It may sound nice to people who can't actually hear what the process is introducing into the sound. If you like that sort of thing it's great.

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 11
The s9's glass will probably not shatter or even scratch, seeing as its made of gorilla glass.

Is it that easy to brick? I've never bricked, and I don't want to try it. But I have flashed the firmware and put in a custom UI with no problems.

I can't speak about cowon's service either since I've never had a problem with my unit.

In general though, the cowon seems like a tough unit. I don't use a case protector on mine and it still looks absolutely mint. I take good care of my stuff, but I know if this was an ipod it would already have scratches, LOL. I do not miss my iphone.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's sound quality, and there's Cowon's BBE implementation. One is not the other.

i.e. It may sound nice to people who can't actually hear what the process is introducing into the sound. If you like that sort of thing it's great.

that's why I said before I turn on the EQ/BBE. Tested them Normal to Normal.

But yeah, I do like the BBE.
L3000.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you actually heard the BBE? It seems to me that you haven't and you don't realize that the BBE is one of the few EQs which don't suck.

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you actually heard the BBE?

Yes.

In case you're not familiar with the way I write, unless I say so I have/had everything I write about... it's a rarity I know. And I tend to go out of my way to provide an objective baseline to my tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back