A few life questions~
May 15, 2003 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

NewSc2

500+ Head-Fier
Recently I've become more and more disillusioned with higher education.

I came to UCI as a Chemistry major, but I always aspired to become some sort of importer or business owner, and as I've been less and less inclined to seriously study Chemistry, my grades have faltered (still hovering around a 3.2) and my motivation has dropped off.

My question for the older, wiser folk of head-fi, is about how the world works (to an extent). I always counted on having my Chem degree as "backup" if business didn't quite work out, but it seems as if so many jobs out there don't require a college degree (i.e. restaurant owner, jewelry importer, many jobs in the service industry).

I've thought about changing majors first, but that doesn't seem like it'd help much either. There are a lot of Criminal Investigation, Film Studies, English majors out there, and I'm sure most won't become movie critics or authors, so it'd be pointless going from a technical major that I might use to an easy major that I will never use.

I'm basically at a crossroads right now. Try hard, study, and go on to Graduate school, hopefully becoming a professor or researcher with a well-paid, steady job. I can't imagine working with chemistry my entire life, however, and would much prefer a job in business or importing. The problem with that, however, is it's much more risky and goes with the economic flow.

Can anybody give me some words of advice?

PS - My family is heavily involved with the importing business - Mom and Dad both have connections to Taiwan and China - so it's not like I'm jumping headfirst into an unknown field.

May 15, 2003 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
It might be too late now, but have you considered a business degree?

UCI doesn't offer a business degree. They do offer economics, but that's only indirectly related to managing your own business.

I've been taking Business Management classes and I enjoy them a lot, but they reiterate stuff I've already learned working with my parents and running my old high school service organization.

Edit: I've been looking at degrees as just "names" anyways. I don't think majoring in Economics will make me a much more successful person - to me I can read 10 books and know as much as an Economics major. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

May 15, 2003 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 38
A chemistry degree would give you a significant leg-up on the competition in business. My old boss got his chem degree at UMass Amherst and started out working as a salesman for a biochem company. Since he understood the products he was very successful in his job and moved up quickly. Eventually he started his own business selling biochemicals which is doing very well -- he can't even get enough good employees and every year he's raising wages. A business/econ major may understand how businesses work, but it's far more useful to have a degree related to the industry in which you'll be working and then get an MBA later.

I don't know what you'd be importing, though, so I don't know if you could use a chem degree. Keep in mind, though, that even a degree in philosophy will help you get jobs, whereas no degree will ensure that you won't get any job.

May 15, 2003 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
Keep in mind, though, that even a degree in philosophy will help you get jobs.

*wipes brow* Phew!
tongue.gif

Edit: What kind?
frown.gif

May 15, 2003 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 38
Also, I've been thinking that college is kind of just an entry in a resume. Most of what you learn here are extraneous things that people don't need to know to do well in life. I don't see how having a degree in Womens Studies will help me out (provided that I don't go for a job in that field). So how would a Chem degree help me out if I don't end up getting a Chem-related job?

How many of you have jobs unrelated to your college major?

May 15, 2003 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 38
Thanks for the responses everybody. They've been helpful.

To clarify - I'd really like to import jewelry - looked into that for a summer, but it's hard getting connections into that at such a young age. My dad has a lot of connections to machinery around here, so he imports large-scale machines (chemical research related). I don't know what to import yet, but I've looked into a lot of fields - audio, cameras, clothes, etc. I went to China on a business trip with my dad, and was just amazed at all the industry growing there and realized that many manufacturers would like to get a hand into the United States - thus the need for salesmen/importers. My mom has better connections into the goods markets (she deals in the gifts industry), and is starting up her own importing company that I'd help out with for experience.

That aside it's only one thing I've been considering - I used to work for a restaurant as a prep chef and knew the Foods & Services Executive pretty well, and I became interested in perhaps opening up a franchised restaurant or a small rock/jazz club around here (only 1 full-time Jazz club in OC).

May 15, 2003 at 11:44 AM Post #8 of 38
A chemistry degree is an excellent degree. DanG is correct. I would stick with your current cirriculum as your average is still fine and you'll obviously be able to bring it up again if you want. Biotech is and has been for a long time an exploding market. Your chemistry degree will go a long, long way in helping you find a job, and when you first get out of college that's the best way to get rolling on your own: a steady paycheck, benefits and most likely a new city if they relocate you. I highly recommend sticking with chemistry and finishing that degree. You can pick up business degree down the road if you want, though should you decide to begin your own business - you can do that without the degree if you're really driven to do so.

About college being pretty much a resume topper, right of passage, silly piece of sheepskin, well, you're right.
smily_headphones1.gif

(But at least your chem degree in real training in SOMETHING.)

I was an English/Art major (the double whammy) and it took me about 22 years to find a job in keeping with my degree (a newspaper editor).

May 15, 2003 at 12:00 PM Post #9 of 38
Preface: I didn't finish college.

I have learned that a degree is an entry on a resume. You are correct on that point. But, what the degree shows is that you stuck it out. The employer wants to know that once he gives you a job, you are not the type to quit if the going gets a little tough. Plus, a degree means you have some intelligence, and you aren't afraid of hard work. The study skills, and social skills you learn in college are very helpful in the real world also.

Just two cents from an old guy that went two and a half semesters before saying to hell with it, and going to work for a major corporation, where I have been for 26 long years.

May 15, 2003 at 12:05 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I have learned that a degree is an entry on a resume. You are correct on that point. But, what the degree shows is that you stuck it out. The employer wants to know that once he gives you a job, you are not the type to quit if the going gets a little tough. Plus, a degree means you have some intelligence, and you aren't afraid of hard work. The study skills, and social skills you learn in college are very helpful in the real world also.

Then what's the difference between a hard-earned Chem degree or a relatively easy Philosophy or Psychology degree?

PS: If anybody's wondering why I'm complaining, I have a stupid crap electrochemistry midterm that I'm studying for and not quite understanding..

May 15, 2003 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 38
Dude. Here is a very simple test and should open your eyes. Go buy a newspaper and take out the "Classified" section. Pretend you're broke and you've got two weeks left of paid rent. You need a job. Now look at the number of jobs listing a chemistry degree as an desireable degree and then TRY to find a job that lists "sociology" or a "philosophy" (ha!) degree as a requirement. That was my freakin nightmare for two decades, and there's your answer in a nutshell.

May 15, 2003 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 38
Many people attend college and persue a major field of studies before they really know themselves. Our society says your successful if you have lots of money, lots of stuff. I know many "wealthy" people who will never be content. I have a 12 year old son and I don't want him to join the rat race when he leaves my home, I want him to persue his dreams. Pay attention to your own hearts desire. We are all created uniqely and have specific gifts. If you love your work, the money won't really matter. Sure, we all have bills to pay, but the key is to live within your means, save even small amounts consistently, and don't go into debt. If your working for the money, you'll always want more. If you love what you get to do each day, you can be content. Your at a point in your life when you can easily make these kinds of choices. Later on, when you have a wife, kids, big mortgage, etc..., it becomes almost impossible to change because you need the income to maintain the lifestyle.

If you want to go into importing/exporting, go for it. If you don't need the Chem degree for what you want to do, you have some choices to make. If your school doesn't offer the classes you need, change schools.

Do something you are passionate about and be the best you can be at it. You'll never regret it.

May 15, 2003 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 38
What kentamcolin said: Find something that you love to do then figure out a way to earn a living at it.

BTW: It sounds like you have some great connections and experience in the import area. Is that influencing your decision? Do you really have passion for it? Or is it more an issue of comfort and familiarity?

Chemistry: why did you choose that as a major initially? Was this your decision? Or influenced more by family?

Sorry you're in the midst of studying for finals. Let me suggest that this might not be the best time to do major re-evaluation of your major. Once the finals are done and the pressure is off, would be good to take some time to really think about what you want to do with your life.

Begin with the end in mind... where do you really want to be in 5 - 10 years? Will a chemistry degree allow you to get there? Will a philosophy degree allow you to get there? Can you reasonably expect to get there without having a degree? Will you have serious issues of remorse if you choose to not get a degree???

Personal anecdote/experience from an older guy... take it for what it's worth! I started off as a business major at a dinky college because I did not have a clue about what I wanted to do. Ended up not really caring about what I was studying, didn't have a clear direction in mind, didn't have a clue about what I might like to do after I got done. Result? I became sort of a frisbee major! OK, there wasn't a formal curriculum in frisbee at the school I attended, and after 3 semesters of playing, decided to take a break.

Taking off from college was one of the hardest and best things I've ever done. At the time I left school, the economy was in the toilet (Jan 1983). Was quite an eye opening experience to go around looking for work with ZERO marketable skills and no college degree. Also meant living at home. Talk about culture shock! Went from being in a co-ed college dorm with pretty young things all around and parties happening every day and every night to being flat-ass broke, living at home, no job, and no prospects of anything brighter in the future.

My attitude and focus sharpened precipitously after this experience.

biggrin.gif

In fact, I had an epiphany. When I finally found work, I ended up hitting the employment lottery of sorts. Got a regular 9-5 type job in a small pharmacy, then got a part time job working in a convenience store from 5 - midnight. Worked some weekends at another pharmacy. Was also helping a buddy with a lawn business on the weekends when I wasn't working elsewhere. Sounded great initially, and was fine, especially being able to earn some money, didn't have time to spend money so I accumulated a bit. But, it was a total drag after a couple months of little sleep and no days off.

But, the epiphany came ~ midnight, after working this kind of schedule for ~ 3 months. Was getting ready to close up the convenience store, mopping the floor before locking the doors for the night. Some dude comes in, walks all over my freshly cleaned floors, and orders 1/4 lb of American cheese. Of course, the slicers were already clean and prepped for the next day. And, if you know anything about slicers, they are really designed to cut fingers, not lunchmeat and cheese.

It was at that moment that I finally allowed myself to accept that the choices that I had made previously would not allow me to live the life that I really wanted. If I kept doing what I had been doing, I'd likely end up working like crazy, earning very little money, and not doing things that I liked... just would be (barely) earning a living. The lightbulb FINALLY went on!

So, I kicked the dude out of the store.

The next day, I went to the library to look at their list of jobs that had the highest average starting salary. #2 on the list was pharmacy (#1 was petroleum engineer at the time). Since I had already had some experience working in a pharmacy, I did what was necessary to get into pharmacy school.

Initially, I wanted to find something that would provide a living only. Ended up finding something that I really enjoy doing that also happens to pay the bills.

Moral of the story: take some time to think about what you REALLY want to do. Take some time to think about what type of lifestyle you REALLY want to have. Find out what will motivate you to go to work every day and feel will leave you with a feeling of fullfillment. Then, take the steps necessary to acheive that goal.

Good luck!

Bruce

May 15, 2003 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 38
from my (admitedly very limited) experience, i would say not to discount the benefits of having a degree, but there are very many jobs which do not requre them, and very many successful people who do not have one.

when i dropped out of my school's 6th form for a while, before going on to college, i did not have any particular qualifications as such (just some average gcse passes)

i decided i'd go out and get a job, i got one within a week, doing customer services, not great i know, but i obviously impressed someone, becuase i was made a line manager after 2 months....at the age of 17!!!

which i'm sure really annoyed some people, becuase i was in charge of some people twice my age.

and at my last part-time job, i was responsible for training the majority of new staff.

my point is, certificates and paper qualifications mean squat if you don;t have the natural intelligence or common sense to back them up. have you ever met one of those people who are supposed to be some sort of genius, but are actually very, very ditzy?

i have and i wouldn't trust them with anything.

however, for some jobs, a degree is totaly necessary, hence why i bailed on my job, and went back to college, becuase next year i will hopefully be studying law.

(actually, bad example, there *is* a non-degree course you can take to qualify at law, but you get the idea...)

May 15, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #15 of 38
I think that some things that have been said are very relevant. Currently, I'm studying Psychology and I know that my degree is pretty worthless, without grad school. The key is that I have found something that I want to do with my life. So the key is that my education will be useful for what I want to do. I need that degree or else I won't end up doing anything remotely close to what I want to do.

For some people, the degree itself is worth only the fact that it is a degree. Some employers look at that as the person having the willingness and desire to learn what they need in order to do the job. That of course only applies to jobs in the business world and not in specialized fields, like psychology.

I think the advice stated earlier is really helpful. Find a job that you love, and then do what it takes to be successful at it. If you could love being a chemist for a living, then by all means pursue that degree. If there is something else that you would be interested in doing for a living, then go for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back