A Few iPod & Rockbox Questions
Aug 19, 2006 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm on the verge of picking up a 60 gig 5G iPod. My plan has been to put Rockbox on it and use FLAC predominately. I've got a couple of questions though, does Rockbox support Apple Lossless? If so will Rockbox play Apple Lossless as gapless? Would it make more sense to use Apple Lossless in case booting into the original Apple firmware is necessary?

Also, I intend on getting an Apple Universal Dock as well, the idea is this would be hooked into my speaker system and it would serve as a home base for the iPod to charge and for use in the speaker rig when not being used with headphones. Is there any problem doing things in this manner using Rockbox?

Aug 19, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 35
My sugestion: use wavpack it's much more faster when enconding wavs than flac. Rockbox doesn't support Apple Lossless, but what do you want it for if you have Wavpack or Flac? Why do you think that it will be neccesary to boot into apple's firmware? I only boot into the original firmware when I want to watch some small videos and for charging the ipod using usb, but I don't see what is the advantage of the original firmware over Rockbox (well, except battery life for now).
About the docking station: I know that the only accesories that works with Rockbox now are acce. that use the line out of the ipod and acce. that charge the ipod, nothing else for now. So, you shouldn't have any problem with the dock station.

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastianbf
Rockbox doesn't support Apple Lossless

Yes it does.

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
how did you test? the sites i have seen say both are fast. neither is much faster
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....ess_comparison
http://www.bobulous.org.uk/misc/loss...udio_2006.html

Maybe I exagerate saying that it's much faster but it is faster. I have made my own tests. Also look at this http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....mparison_Table
(look at the encoding speed)

About the ALAC playback in Rockbox... sorry, totally my mistake
tongue.gif
. Anyway, flac or wavpack is a lot better in terms of compatibility with software.

Aug 19, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Why do you think that it will be neccesary to boot into apple's firmware?

Well I guess it's because I'm new to this whole iPod and Rockbox thing and I'm not sure exactly what all my uses for the iPod and what all the limitations of Rockbox are/will be. I'm starting from scratch so I tend to think it might make more sense to use a format that both firmware versions can see to be on the safe side.

Quote:

My sugestion: use wavpack it's much more faster when enconding wavs than flac.

I've actually been using dBpowerAMP Converter to rip to FLAC, it actually seems to directly encode to FLAC and only takes about 8 to 10 minutes per CD.

I know using EAC is probably a more accurate solution but it's fairly convoluted I'm stuck ripping on someone elses computer because mine doesn't have an internet connection at the moment. That and I have quite a pile of CD's to rip so it's a bit of a tradeoff for speed and convenience.

Ok, so now that we've established that Rockbox does support Apple Lossless does it play back gapless? Or maybe the better question would be do all codecs that Rockbox supports play back gapless?

EDIT: Also, is the only way to convert to Apple Lossless via wav's through iTunes or are there other programs that will do this this? It would be cool if I could find one that would covert from FLAC to Apple Lossless.
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Ok, so now that we've established that Rockbox does support Apple Lossless does it play back gapless? Or maybe the better question would be do all codecs that Rockbox supports play back gapless?

Rockbox is gapless with any codec that is capable of gapless playback. So, for example, FLAC will playback gaplessly. MP3 is not natively gapless. Rockbox can playback MP3s gaplessly (or near gaplessly) if the file was encoded by LAME version 3.90.1 or later.

Aug 19, 2006 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
Rockbox is gapless with any codec that is capable of gapless playback. So, for example, FLAC will playback gaplessly. MP3 is not natively gapless. Rockbox can playback MP3s gaplessly (or near gaplessly) if the file was encoded by LAME version 3.90.1 or later.

Ok, that makes sense, but then I guess that brings us to the next question, is Apple Lossless capable of gapless natively?

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 35
I hope this is a related question (if not, please ignore it, I don't want to hijack this thread).

I've ripped several thousand CD's on to my computer using Apple lossless (ALAC?). If I convert my 5G ipod to Rockbox, should I re-rip those CD's using FLAC or will I be able to get all (most) the Rockbox benefits keeping the files in ALAC?

Did I get this all right, I'm kind of new to this?

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
next question, is Apple Lossless capable of gapless natively?

It's my understanding that *any* lossless codec is natively gapless. If it weren't, it wouldn't be by definition actually lossless (bit perfect).

Aug 19, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues
I hope this is a related question (if not, please ignore it, I don't want to hijack this thread).

I've ripped several thousand CD's on to my computer using Apple lossless (ALAC?). If I convert my 5G ipod to Rockbox, should I re-rip those CD's using FLAC or will I be able to get all (most) the Rockbox benefits keeping the files in ALAC?

Did I get this all right, I'm kind of new to this?

You should be able to transcode all of your ALAC files to FLAC files. I use Foobar2000 to go from FLAC to mp3, and I don't know how it would handle ALAC files, but it'd be one program to look into. It's much faster than reripping all of your CD's.

Aug 19, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 35
db poweramp converts to and from ALAC - tagging isn't always transferred properly, though.

Aug 19, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 35
Can anyone tell me how to get Rockbox to identify ALAC files by their tags IN CONJUCTION WITH using the ID3 database? I've got a mix of mp3's and alacs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back