A few iPod questions...
Nov 18, 2003 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

st5150

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, after being majorly disapointed in the Samsung yp900gt mp3 player upon release, I decided to check out other mp3 players. I listened to a friends brand new iRiver iHP 120 and a first gen 5 gig iPod using KSC35's. Long story short, I love the iPod, but have a few questions:

What's a difference between 2nd and 3rd gen iPods? They're the same size right?

What's the difference between docked and undocked versions? Is the player different or is the undocked version simply missing an accessory?

To save money I've been considering buying a factory refurbished model. Is it true that the factory refurbished models come with new batteries?

I don't have firewire, just USB 1.0 and I'm content with its speed. I'm confused as to which iPods support USB and which done.

Can I just plug in an iPod into my USB port and have Windows XP see it as a new hard drive? No drivers needed right?

Can I simply drag and drop my mp3 files to this "new hard drive" ? I'm sure iTunes and Music Match are really neat and cute and all, but I'm very content with dragging and dropping files onto my mp3 player.

Power output: Do 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen iPods have the same output? The first gen iPod I tried really blew away the iRiver in powering the KSC 35's.

Nov 18, 2003 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by st5150
What's a difference between 2nd and 3rd gen iPods? They're the same size right?

The 2nd gen iPods are smaller due to removing the size restrictions of a 6-pin firewire port. Pretty much the same basic external functionality, except with the addition of a dock connector.

Quote:

What's the difference between docked and undocked versions? Is the player different or is the undocked version simply missing an accessory?

All versions with the dock connector (3rd gen) are the same, with or without the actual dock. If you buy a 10G version without a dock, can buy the dock later if you want (I did). The 2nd gen iPods do not take the latest firmware or docks or any of the newer accessories. The dock connector is a definite plus.

Quote:

To save money I've been considering buying a factory refurbished model. Is it true that the factory refurbished models come with new batteries?

People here have had mixed results, but I strongly suggest looking into refurb products. Apple stands behind them as-new, with a full warranty. Most of what I buy from Apple is refurb, and I've never had any problems related to it being a refurb product. I couldn't tell you if they come with new batteries or not, but they are completely tested before resold.

Quote:

I don't have firewire, just USB 1.0 and I'm content with its speed. I'm confused as to which iPods support USB and which done.

Only the 3G iPods with dock connector support USB, using a two-headed cable you must buy separately. I suggest purchasing a Firewire card -- they are as cheap as the two-headed cable and integrate much better with the iPod.

Quote:

Can I just plug in an iPod into my USB port and have Windows XP see it as a new hard drive? No drivers needed right?

To use it as a hard drive, yes. But see below.

Quote:

Can I simply drag and drop my mp3 files to this "new hard drive" ? I'm sure iTunes and Music Match are really neat and cute and all, but I'm very content with dragging and dropping files onto my mp3 player.

Nope. The iPod organizes music into special folders. You must use Music Match or iTunes.

Quote:

Power output: Do 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen iPods have the same output? The first gen iPod I tried really blew away the iRiver in powering the KSC 35's.

All versions of the iPod have sufficient power to drive the KSC-35s with much authority -- ear blasting levels even.

Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

--Chris

Nov 18, 2003 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 11
Everything Hempcamp said, plus stats (4th gen's are newer 3rd) and there are other software options (Ephpod, Anapod). The latter allows drag and drop through Windows Explorer.

Nov 18, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Everything Hempcamp said, plus stats

Heh... you couldn't know how long I spent looking for that link last night! Thanks for posting it.

--Chris

Nov 19, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the answers! It looks like I should wait for a refurbished 3rd gen ipod then.

I'm happy with every aspect of the ipod so far except for being forced to install special software to use it as a portable hard drive.

One more question: What is the name of that mass ID3 tagger you have to run through all your mp3's before the ipod will recognise them?

Nov 19, 2003 at 9:03 AM Post #6 of 11
Originally posted by hempcamp
The 2nd gen iPods are smaller due to removing the size restrictions of a 6-pin firewire port. Pretty much the same basic external functionality, except with the addition of a dock connector.

i thought the 3G was smaller than the 2G? actually, i'm pretty sure about this. or at least side by side it seems smaller
smily_headphones1.gif
more rounded.

Nov 19, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by st5150
One more question: What is the name of that mass ID3 tagger you have to run through all your mp3's before the ipod will recognise them?

There are many good mp3 tagging programs out there. The one I like to use is Mp3/Tag Studio. You can download it here:

Mp3/Tag Studio 3.0

tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2003 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 11
Originally posted by akio
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
i thought the 3G was smaller than the 2G? actually, i'm pretty sure about this. or at least side by side it seems smaller
smily_headphones1.gif
more rounded.

My fault... typo. Yes, the 3G with the dock connector is smaller -- the dock connector is what allows it to be smaller.

--Chris

Nov 19, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 11
it only loads in 2.0 i dont think it is 1.0 compatible

Nov 20, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 11
there is a review at Anandtech.com that has a review of the 3G ipods and it says you can use usb 1.1, but it is not recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back