a few HD 595 Questions
Apr 25, 2007 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

GustoGaiden

New Head-Fier
I am highly considering buying a set of 595's. My biggest reasons are the comfort, and sound quality. However I have a few reservations, but I believe that with a propper mixture of finesse and elbow grease, I can have a set of 'phones that will be perfect for me (blasphemous, I know).

My first hesitation is the fact that these are open headphones. I have only had closed/sealed headphones, so I am not sure how much other people around me will be able to hear. Can anyone give me a rough estimate to how much sound you can hear coming out of these (or any set of open headphones?)

If it turns out I am going to be disturbing my workmates too terribly, I was thinking I could partially seal off the back of the headphones by putting some packing foam in between the driver and the grill. This sounds pretty non-invasive, easy for me, a first time modder, and hopefully won't mangle the sound quality too badly. I was reading a thread talking about doing this, but didnt exactly have step by step direction, or a list of DO's and Dont's. I want to be sure inserting foam won't overheat or damage the headphones, or something else I hadn't thought of. Does anyone know of such a guide, or have advise for muffling the sound-leakage from open phones?

My second big problem deals with the cable. I don't think I own a device with a quarter inch plug, so I would naturally want a 1/8" adapter. I have read that it is a FAIRLY simple process to recable the 595's but that doesn't mean that it terrify me. I might have used a solder gun once or twice to help my dad install new plumbing years and years back, but I'm afraid of defiling my fancy new ear-sanctuary. Even if I don't end up swapping out for plugs, I will eventually need to replace the cable when it goes bad, which is generally about ever two years with me. my response in the past has been to simply buy new (and more expensive) headphones. I even bought a pair of HD 212 Pro's so I could just buy a new detachable cable, but they are a little less comfortable than I'd really like. Anyway, My real question is: Is there a place I could take my headphones to get re-cabled for a nominal fee? Does Sennheiser provide a service like this?

Summary:
I want 595's
How do/can I muffle sound leakage?
How should a noob get his cables re-done?

Many Thanks,
-Gusto

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 2
dont recable..just use adapters..
the sound leakage isnt that bad..depending on your listening level...

and i think this thread belong to headphone section..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back