A few general questions you might help with for a relative Newb
Jul 20, 2018 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Allentown

New Head-Fier
I posted this in the portable forum before seeing the "post your questions in the recommendations forum" at the top of the page, then I still accidentially put it here.... Uggh. Repost here per instructions.

I used to read and follow the can news back in 2010 and 2011 but was completely out of the loop. I found many of the head phones I used to wish for but couldn't spend the money, just slightly modded cheaper were on Massdrop and have gone into a buying frenzy (I make more $$ now than I did then so its a perfect storm). Having just discovered massdrop and in the last two days have already ordered the Senn HD6xx, then Hifiman HE4xx within the last two days. However I travel frequently i don't believe either of these is a great choice for the road (unless they are in a bag in a case and for use at the hotel). My go to head phones are the Shure 535 IEMs and the Vmoda M100 Crossfades. In the summer I travel with the Shures and in the winter I travel with both (The Vmodas are hot on my head so if it is summer I find I only use them once I get to the room).

The problem with the IEMs is that after about 2 hours, they are physically painful shoved into my ears. The Vmodas I could wear all day, if only I wasn't sweating to the point that they are wet on my head. (1st world problems I know).

My idea was to use these EMU purple hearts for summer. Wear them around the airport, shuttle service, lines where the lack of sound isolation is a benefit and simply pull the Shure 535s out of my pocket once the jet engines spin up and I am not interested in hearing the dude on his buisness meeting shouting into the phone about the deadline until the inevitable confrontation with a flight attendant.

I had a pair of Bose QC 15s, hated the effect of active noise cancellation (they currently sit on my wifes desk for rare use of "I am trying to work in here and you all are making too much noise". I also had a pair of Parrot Ziks...liked the active noise cancellation and the ability to dial in the sound signature with an app and even have app change the sound signature automatically on a per song basis but after breaking one pair and getting a warranty replacement..and also dealing with the fussy blue tooth controls (It didnt always pair and I felt like messing with the app so much killed the experience), I went back to wired (when I bought the Vmoda) and the parrots went to my 17 year old.

I was actually shopping for some of the newer (supposedly better) bluetooth noice cancelling cans (From sennheiser or Sony) when i discovered mass drop.

Anyway here is the question......WILL the EMU purple hearts serve my purpose of being a lighter, cooler (perhaps less expensive if stolen) summer alternative for travel in the summer than my Vmodas?

Also where do you guys keep all your cans....this is going to turn into a collection rather quickly....

Also one more question.... the Teak version of the EMU are $499 on massdrop. I know its a newb question but what is the deal with the price gap?

And Last/last question.

Since I am in a buying frenzy making up for stuff I used to want....If i just bought the HD6xxs the HE4xxs and now the EMU purple hearts (and already have the Shure 535s and the Vmoda M100s), are there any other "gotta get deals" that come up on massdrop that any of you would recommend?

One last important Edit. I mostly run all of these off of an LG V35 phone which has the quad DAC and supposedly will push headphones all the way up to 500-600 ohms. I also some times carry the FIIO A3 with me but am unsure if i should even be using that any more considering the specs of this new LG phone (got this month). Any advice there also appreciated. (sorry for multiple questions, trying not to make multiple threads).

And the last, last last (how many lasts is that). I am wanting to buy what ever gear I need to drive some of these cans while gaming and or watching TV but not sure what all I need for that. I know it can be done for movie watching from a PC, but from a traditional TV setup??

My PC runs an MSI 370x Pro mobo and I am currently using the integrated gaming sound card that is built in which is good enough for my Hyper x headphones and Marshall speaker hooked up via optical but may not be enough for these other headphones...

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 2
WILL the EMU purple hearts serve my purpose of being a lighter, cooler (perhaps less expensive if stolen) summer alternative for travel in the summer than my Vmodas?

Yes, IMO they are perfect for this. I took the e-mu purple's on a monthlong trip to Europe last year. They worked perfectly for that purpose. Light, cheap, comfortable, sound good for long listening sessions. They block enough noise to be nice on a plane, to boot. Easy to drive.

No-brainer. Don't complicate things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back