A Few ESI Juli@ Questions
Sep 7, 2006 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

neonextgenazn

100+ Head-Fier
I've just installed the Juli@ so I have a few questions:

1. What does Julapan.exe in the new 1.18 driver version folder do?

2. The Juli@ seems much quieter than the X-Fi. I turned both the 1/2 output and the master volume to the max but the card is not extremely loud like other cards.

3. Should I set the clock to int or ext?

4. For bit perfect playback, I should set the sample rate to auto right?

5. I've noticed the device volume bar in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties does not move with the master volume bar in the Juli@ control panel. Does the device volume bar now serve as another volume bar or has it stopped working altogether?

6. Is it normal for the playback volume bars in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties to shrink down to Wave, SW Synth, and CD Player and for the recording volume bars to shrink down to only microphone?

7. Where's the ASIO volume bar? My only way of adjusting the volume outside of the Juli@ control panel is through the preamp bar for replaygain in the mp123 settings.

8. What do you guys set the latency in the Juli@ control panel to?

9. I've noticed that my default audio devices now display Juli@ Ch12, Julki@ Ch34, and Juli@ Ch1234. Which one of these should I use?

10. Should I use ASIO4ALL or the default Juli@ ASIO driver?

11. Do I need to install any of the other applications included with the Juli@? I'm only using it for music playback at the moment.

This sound card is awesome! Thanks guys!

Sep 7, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by neonextgenazn
I've just installed the Juli@ so I have a few questions:

1. What does Julapan.exe in the new 1.18 driver version folder do?
Its the Juli@ control panel.

2. The Juli@ seems much quieter than the X-Fi. I turned both the 1/2 output and the master volume to the max but the card is not extremely loud like other cards.
I found the Juli@ to be louder than the other consumer card like Prodigy. It should be plenty loud enough. However its balanced output should be louder than its RCA out.

3. Should I set the clock to int or ext?
Internal

4. For bit perfect playback, I should set the sample rate to auto right?
Yes, use ASIO and set sample rate to auto.

5. I've noticed the device volume bar in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties does not move with the master volume bar in the Juli@ control panel. Does the device volume bar now serve as another volume bar or has it stopped working altogether?
I never use Windows volume control though. Not sure whether it stopped working.

6. Is it normal for the playback volume bars in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties to shrink down to Wave, SW Synth, and CD Player and for the recording volume bars to shrink down to only microphone?
Why don't you use only the Juli@ control panel?

7. Where's the ASIO volume bar? My only way of adjusting the volume outside of the Juli@ control panel is through the preamp bar for replaygain in the mp123 settings.

8. What do you guys set the latency in the Juli@ control panel to?
I left it as default. You can change it to suit your applications.

9. I've noticed that my default audio devices now display Juli@ Ch12, Julki@ Ch34, and Juli@ Ch1234. Which one of these should I use?
For music, either will work. Doesn't matter much which one to use. I used Ch12.

10. Should I use ASIO4ALL or the default Juli@ ASIO driver?
Use default Juli@ ASIO driver is recommended.

11. Do I need to install any of the other applications included with the Juli@? I'm only using it for music playback at the moment.
For music only, I won't worry about the other bundled applications since those are mainly for recording studio.

This sound card is awesome! Thanks guys!

My reply in bold. Enjoy your card!

Sep 7, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 19
To avoid clicks when playing back 24/96 material I had to increase the ASIO buffer size. This is controlled by the latency setting in the control panel.

Cheers

Thomas

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 19
Thanks a lot guys! I'd still like to know whether there's an ASIO volume bar. On my X-Fi, I was able to use this bar to turn down the volume when my monitor flashed red.

In case you guys didn't know, the new driver is available for Windows on the Korean site.

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 19
Hey guys, sorry for the thread jack but I'm curious how would you say the Juli@ compares with the x-fi? Would you say the Juli@ is better than the x-fi, if so in what way?

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 19
I used to use the X-Fi XtremeMusic. It's definitely worth the upgrade. I instantly noticed greater detail and was able to easily pick out individual instruments from the music through the Juli@'s analog out. Also, the sound in general appears to be much more clean, clear, and natural. If you're not a serious gamer, then, by all means, upgrade.

Sep 7, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 19
There is no clipping on the Juli@ unless the material you play is clipping.

The only form of volume control the Juli@ supports is attenuation. The volume slider in the Juli@ control panel controls the hardware on the card and attenuates the signal in the digital domain. It does not matter which api on the Windows side you use this slider will attenuate WAV,directSound, or ASIO exactly the same way.

I understand there are some changes with the new driver on the Korean site but so far I am happy with the version that is on the generic download site.

Cheers

Thomas

Sep 7, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
There is no clipping on the Juli@ unless the material you play is clipping.

The only form of volume control the Juli@ supports is attenuation. The volume slider in the Juli@ control panel controls the hardware on the card and attenuates the signal in the digital domain. It does not matter which api on the Windows side you use this slider will attenuate WAV,directSound, or ASIO exactly the same way.

I understand there are some changes with the new driver on the Korean site but so far I am happy with the version that is on the generic download site.

Cheers

Thomas

I noticed that I could raise the bars on the monitor by raising the dB on MPG123's preamp. If I raise this until the bars in the Juli@'s monitor is maxed out, the audio still won't clip? Do both the analog output slider and the master volume slider attenuate the signal in the same way?

Sep 7, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #11 of 19
Both volume sliders operate in the digital domain and when both are set to 100 a full scale digital signal will be sent over S/PDIF as a full scale signal.

Anything less than 100% in the respective slider will result in attenuation.

I don't know much about the preamp in replay gain but I assume you can easily clip music in the digital domain in the player before sending it to the card. However that just means you will send down multiple consecutive samples at ful scale. If you attenuate this on the card you can't undo the damage since you clipped of the differences between these samples away. Lowering their absolute value will prevent your red warning light to go on but it will still sound bad.

Cheers

Thomas

P.S.: @sygyzy Much easier to set up and operate. The whole software install is only a few kilobytes.

Sep 7, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
Both volume sliders operate in the digital domain and when both are set to 100 a full scale digital signal will be sent over S/PDIF as a full scale signal.

Anything less than 100% in the respective slider will result in attenuation.

I don't know much about the preamp in replay gain but I assume you can easily clip music in the digital domain in the player before sending it to the card. However that just means you will send down multiple consecutive samples at ful scale. If you attenuate this on the card you can't undo the damage since you clipped of the differences between these samples away. Lowering their absolute value will prevent your red warning light to go on but it will still sound bad.

Cheers

Thomas

P.S.: @sygyzy Much easier to set up and operate. The whole software install is only a few kilobytes.

Lowering their absolute value will prevent your red warning light to go on but it will still sound bad.

Can you further explain this sentence? Also, what do you leave your Juli@'s sliders at? Is there an ideal location or does it just depend on how loud you want your music to be?

This is a stupid question but the Juli@'s optical is toslink right?

Sep 7, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 19
juli@s volume control does not work for me outputting digital, coax or optical.

optical is 3/4.

if you use winamps asio, to use optical out, you need to set shift output channel to 2 instead of 0. that little fact took me a few days to figure out.

Sep 7, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 19
There is no volume slider for the digital output. The digital output goes out bit perfect.

Quote:

Lowering their absolute value will prevent your red warning light to go on but it will still sound bad.

Can you further explain this sentence? Also, what do you leave your Juli@'s sliders at? Is there an ideal location or does it just depend on how loud you want your music to be?

Simply put digital music is a stream of number pairs. For 16 bit music coming from a CD these numbers range from -32768 to +32767. Clipping means that two or more consecutive samples in one channel hit 32767.

The Juli@ simply takes these numbers and all the volume sliders do is to reduce these values for any setting below 0. When you do that you lower the level at which this sound will play but you also reduce the resolution of what you are playing. This is the reason there are DACs that provide an analog volume control.

If you amplifiy the stream, you multiply these numbers by a value greater than one. By doing so you again run the risk of reducing the resolution. If many of the samples end up with values outside -32766 or +32767 they clip and on playback will just be sitting flat at these limits.

When you apply attenuation, multiplying all values with a value lower than one on the sound card you can not restore the original differences. What you end up with are now many samples that might sit at -19999 and +20000. Your clipping monitor will not light up because it is looking for values -32766 or +32767 but the music will still sound bad. There is really not much to it.

I mostly use the balanced analog output and with my active monitors in near filed I usually sit at -30db.

Quote:

This is a stupid question but the Juli@'s optical is toslink right?

yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back