A few dac related questions
Jul 27, 2016 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Afterparty

New Head-Fier
I'm building my very first stereo system. Budget range is on the entry level.
Source is my MBA through the USB or the Thunderbolt>HDMI

First piece of gear I got is the Pioneer Bs22 LR speakers- reading as how they're a total bargain.

As for the rest of it, I was thinking of getting a half decent oldie receiver (perhaps this one- http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/a-v-receivers/yamaha/rx-v496/prd_124250_2718crx.aspx#reviews), as sorts of a stepping stone until I figure out what's next, but just got a pretty good offer for buying an Arcam irDAC.
And here comes my dilemma, and questions-

Would I not be overshooting with a 500$ DAC having a 130$ pair of speakers?
How much better would the irDAC be over the Yamaha RX- 496 with those?

And while I'm on it- What would be the the minimum AMP investment I could get away with if I do get the irDAC?

Sorry if the questions are clueless and/ or a bit haphazard :)

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 2
  I'm building my very first stereo system. Budget range is on the entry level.
Source is my MBA through the USB or the Thunderbolt>HDMI

First piece of gear I got is the Pioneer Bs22 LR speakers- reading as how they're a total bargain.

As for the rest of it, I was thinking of getting a half decent oldie receiver (perhaps this one- http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/a-v-receivers/yamaha/rx-v496/prd_124250_2718crx.aspx#reviews), as sorts of a stepping stone until I figure out what's next, but just got a pretty good offer for buying an Arcam irDAC.
And here comes my dilemma, and questions-

Would I not be overshooting with a 500$ DAC having a 130$ pair of speakers?
How much better would the irDAC be over the Yamaha RX- 496 with those?

And while I'm on it- What would be the the minimum AMP investment I could get away with if I do get the irDAC?

Sorry if the questions are clueless and/ or a bit haphazard :)

Regarding the Pioneers: You did well.

These were slathered with accolades upon release. Their designer, Andrew Jones, also designed high end TAD speakers. Most notably, he designed the $80,000 Reference One speakers. Prior to that, he worked at KEF and Infinity, respectively. For the money, they are reportedly tough to beat.

Having said that, I have read (although never have used) that these speakers are kind of power hungry for units aimed at budding audiophiles.

Buying a receiver to use as a pre-amp is not at all a bad way to go, and is what I (along with MANY others) have done to get a bit of bang for the buck in our home theater setups. To better answer your questions, though, we do need a little more information.

What is your intended use for this setup? Near field/desktop or in a room and on your couch? If for using in a room, how big is your room? Do you plan to add a subwoofer later? 2 channel only or possible multi-channel setup down the road?

To answer with a simple response (that not all will agree with)....I say buy the biggest amp that you can comfortably afford. IMO, there is no such thing as too much power with full sized (not desktop/near field listening) systems.

More specific answers can be given with more info. Hope this helps a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back