A few clarifications about the NW-HD3
Dec 24, 2004 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
1. It does not hiss. At least, not with anything but the E5. Even on the E5, if you have a problem, just add the attenuator. You'll still get acceptable volume this way, although you may have to play with the EQ to recover some of the sonic 'flavour' of an unattenuated E5.

2. The current release downloaded US version of Connect is fully compatible with the NW-HD3.

3. Instead of a second a track transfer, it is about 2-3 seconds a track.

4. Soundwise, It is not a million miles away from the 3G iPod with latest firmware when using the same files. Using the 70 ohm Sennheiser HD25-1 as a reference, at 'flat' the HD3 sounds slightly more prominent in the trebles and the midrange is slightly recessed. There is not that much difference in the bass representation. To all intents and purposes, resolving capability through these phones seems to be more or less the same.

I realise I made some assumptions in my previous posting, due to the power disparity between the iPod and the HD3 from the headphone out... I will desist from making such assumptions from now on. The two are roughly equal when amped.

More clarifications necessary? Post here.

Dec 24, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 26
Thanks bangra, does it sound a lot different from the nw-hd1 (apart from the hissing issue)?

Dec 24, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 26
Mp3's do seem to sound different... I haven't run a side by side comparison yet, and so far it's only with the HD25-1. I'll be trying others in due course. Hopefully it sets right the information on the hissing issue that's been mentioned.

Dec 25, 2004 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Mp3's do seem to sound different... I haven't run a side by side comparison yet, and so far it's only with the HD25-1. I'll be trying others in due course. Hopefully it sets right the information on the hissing issue that's been mentioned.

So you've tried the HD3 with the E5c's then? And experienced hiss?

Hmm ... having used them without issue with my iPod, I didn't think that their sensitivity would be a problem with the Sony ... Guess I was wrong.

Dec 25, 2004 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 26
The thing is you see that due to their extremely high efficiency, the E5c's tend to hiss with almost anything. Something also to do with the amp gain, I'm told. Yes, the E5's hiss on the NW-HD3. However this does not means that all headphones hiss on the HD3... far from it. The E5 is a unique case in point, as mentioned many times before on this board.

Dec 25, 2004 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 26
Oh yes... Would anyone find a full review in addition to mavis' effort helpful? Because I've got so many other things to write about, I'll only bother if people really want to know about it.

Dec 25, 2004 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

The thing is you see that due to their extremely high efficiency, the E5c's tend to hiss with almost anything. Something also to do with the amp gain, I'm told. Yes, the E5's hiss on the NW-HD3. However this does not means that all headphones hiss on the HD3... far from it. The E5 is a unique case in point, as mentioned many times before on this board.

Then I guess that gives me another reason to like the iPod- no hiss with the E5c's. Also, no hiss with my Audigy2 ZS, nor with my Panasonic MD player ... Those three sources are what I had used my Shures with prior to getting the HD3, so it kind of makes me question Sony's build quality when that unit was the only one I had problems with ... Anyway, I'm sure people might find it useful to see the unit reviewed by someone else, my review didn't sit well with some folks, I guess ...
wink.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 26
I agree with Mavis... not that it will help the general internet public who has used Mavis's review as the basis to bash the HD3 into the ground, but it would be cool to read another review/opinion on the unit.

Dec 26, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Mavis' unit was not faulty.

You know what would be cool? If you have the means to do some SNR tests or something, maybe comparing the HD3, iRiver, and iPod ... Maybe just testing the noise levels when the unit is paused ...
wink.gif

Anyway I'm relieved to hear that you are having the same noise issues with your HD3 (paired with the SHures, I mean) that I did - I received a lot of flak over my review, primarily from the anti-iPod crowd (IMO) and it's nice to hear someone else had the same experience. Thank you.

Dec 26, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 26
There may be an important issue affecting choice for European users. As far as I am aware, my HD1 is of European spec (although I will have to check this) and it has a 'full' 5mw amp. My CEK-model HD3 features noticeably limited output in comparison, and Sony no longer quotes measured amp power for different regions in their documentation. The display of the HD3 certainly is less excessively old-school than the HD1, and is surprisingly visible in a variety of situations despite the dimness of the backlight.

The portable USB dock certainly makes it more useful, and people might be interested to know that the Hi-MD / MZ-N10 MD connection cable also works with the HDD players (and this is more handy if you're planning to use the UMS feature often).

Edit: 29 Dec Although it displays Connect AC adapter and the manual says you should, it does transfer music without the AC adaptor in place. By the way, I'm using the Hi-MD USB connection cable instead of the mini dock. I'm still trying to figure out why this is, and also whether it's really charging through the USB port. I haven't really had time to use the HD3 a lot at this time so I'll give various things a tryout later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back