A few bands I'd like to mention.
May 17, 2007 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ChaseD13

500+ Head-Fier
Here are some bands i have recently discovered, and i love them. im 16yr old. pink floyd is my all time favorite. Even if you are older, and set in your ways, the stuff im going to talk about are still worth a listen. its great stuff, and its the evolution of rock, not a bad imitation of it.

first is porcupine tree (mainstream, but new to me). enough said. 15 years from now, i will still be listening to them. this WILL BECOME "classic", if it already isnt.

next is god is an astronaut. if you like porcupine tree, and dont NEED VOCALS this is even more open and majestic. awesome stuff. im finding i love the post rock genre. rock is worn out, lets move on.

mogwai- mainstream again, but they started post rock (supposedly, remember im new to this). new to me though, check them out if you don't know them.

windmills by the ocean- isis without vocals. its awesome, deep and encompassing like the post rock stuff, but heavy, but no screaming, my perfect world. not too heavy tho.

and the last band ill throw out there is- explosions in the sky- cool maybe a little to distant. honorable mention though.

I just felt that maybe since this stuff isnt on the radio, that it was someones duty to let other music lovers in on some NEW GOOD MUSIC.

May 17, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm going to have to disagree except for Porcupine Tree. They remind me of a mild Tool, and I have liked them for a while.
Everything else you posted, from God is an astronaut to explosions in the sky is a bit too mundane and boring for me.
YMMV.

May 18, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 12
Porcupine Tree came to eat at the Chili's I worked at a few years ago and I told them I wasn't a fan. They thought that was hilarious. They also tipped very well. Just an aside.

May 18, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 12
Porcupine Tree is basically excepted to be "classic" around here IMO.

But c'mon, you mention Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky (both very honorable IMO), but you forget the true masters: Godspeed You Black Emperor!
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 12
I saw Porcupine Tree open for Opeth at the Berkley Performing Arts Center in Boston. Although not a huge fan, great show.

May 19, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 12
HAH ive never heard godspeed you black emperor. ill definitly check them out!

surgical- thats fine, most people find it kind of boring, i know it can be to some, but to me its awesomeness. im guessing you aren't a big floyd fan?

May 19, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 12
My personal favorite is Lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven.... but either Slow Riot... or Yanqui are good starts to the band. Although if you're already digging explosions and mogwai you may not need the intro.

May 19, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #12 of 12
Also... Check out This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain

http://thiswilldestroyyou.com/

Their myspace also has some stuff you can stream, but if you're down with post rock it's one of the better examples I've run across recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back