A few amping questions. Please help me find what I need
May 24, 2008 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Shlonglor

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Hi-Fi world, but I'm looking to make a full-headed plunge. I already have some nice stuff (HD280s, Super.Fi 5 Pro, M-Audio Revolution) and now I'm looking to join the big league. I've spent a lot of time reading in the last few days...

First of all, I am probably going to order the Denon AH-D2000s as soon as possible. I also want to amp them properly, so this is the main drive behind this post. I am currently using an old Porta Corda amp I borrowed from a friend (coupled with the M-Audio's headphone amp).

Since I already have a nice sound card, I guess I'd just get a normal desktop amp to power my headphones, but there's another issue - I'm going to spend a few months every year in the foreseeable future in another place with only my laptop with me. Since it only has a ****ty sound card with only one stereo output, I've been considering getting an amp+DAC combo (something that can be connected through USB) to bypass that problem.

Questions:
1) Assuming my sound card is a good one and I only play music through the computer, is there any reason to get an amp that also has speaker outputs? My current speakers have their own amp and I suppose any speakers I'll buy in the future have their own amp as well. The only problem is that I won't be be able to use speakers with the laptop properly since it's a ****ty source and I can only connect two speakers to it.

2) I'm considering getting an amp+DAC combo, like the Meier Cantate. This one's already a bit on the other side of my budget border, but still reasonable... if it's good, which I have no way of knowing. That leads me to other questions:

3) How do I know what quality the DACs on these amps actually have?

4) Is it possible to tell how good an amp is just by stats, or is it like headphones where you have to try them and/or get a proper description? Is there any source that explains all the technical details in detail to help me make a decision about the amp that best suits my needs?

5) Is there a list or a guide to the good amps on the market, similar to the headphone guide in the headphone forum?

6) Is there a difference in quality when connecting a DAC through the USB instead of a S/PDIF?

7) Are there any add-on high-quality sound cards for laptops?

Looking forward to your answers (and any recommendation)!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 7
Please to helping.

May 25, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 7
Welcome to head-fi...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shlonglor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, I am probably going to order the Denon AH-D2000s as soon as possible. I also want to amp them properly, so this is the main drive behind this post. I am currently using an old Porta Corda amp I borrowed from a friend (coupled with the M-Audio's headphone amp).

Good choice on the D2000s. Depending on your friend you could probably use the Corda amp quite nicely with those 'phones. You probably wouldn't have to get an amp straight away, which gives you time to work out whether you like the D2000s and, if so, find an amp that matches them.

Quote:

Since I already have a nice sound card, I guess I'd just get a normal desktop amp to power my headphones, but there's another issue - I'm going to spend a few months every year in the foreseeable future in another place with only my laptop with me. Since it only has a ****ty sound card with only one stereo output, I've been considering getting an amp+DAC combo (something that can be connected through USB) to bypass that problem.

Good idea. You probably also want a built-in power supply too then?

I'm in a more-or-less similar situation of wanting a decent entry level desktop amp for my forthcoming D5000s. I've been researching a bit, and can answer your questions based only on what I've read. So if that's of some use to you, read on:

Quote:

Questions:
1) Assuming my sound card is a good one and I only play music through the computer, is there any reason to get an amp that also has speaker outputs? My current speakers have their own amp and I suppose any speakers I'll buy in the future have their own amp as well. The only problem is that I won't be be able to use speakers with the laptop properly since it's a ****ty source and I can only connect two speakers to it.

Personally I wouldn't worry about them. But then again I just don't use my computer speakers (which BTW are entirely ordinary altec lansing MX5021s) for anything like critical listening. Any time I am listening to music I've got the headphones on. This is head-fi after all!

Quote:

2) I'm considering getting an amp+DAC combo, like the Meier Cantate. This one's already a bit on the other side of my budget border, but still reasonable... if it's good, which I have no way of knowing. That leads me to other questions:

Like you this is just a little pricey for me, but I may end up going for it anyway... Skylabs comparison of the entire Meier range is worth a read

Other amps which I have considered (with no firm decision of yet) are:
  1. FUBAR III
  2. CIAudio VHP-2 + Alien DAC
  3. Travagan's White
  4. Zero
  5. Octavart

Quote:

3) How do I know what quality the DACs on these amps actually have?

FWICT almost all of the entry level amp+DACs use the PCM2702 DAC chip.

This is the chip that's in the Alien DAC, which I built recently (actually it was my friend mostly but never mind
smily_headphones1.gif
. I did a bit of non-scientific A/B testing between the Alien DAC and the standard DAC in the (original) Corda Move, whose part number escapes me for the moment. The Alien was noticably better to my ear. More detailed, particularly at the high end.

So for me I think I would be pretty happy with any PCM2702-based DAC. (For now, until the next bout of upgradeitis
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

4) Is it possible to tell how good an amp is just by stats, or is it like headphones where you have to try them and/or get a proper description? Is there any source that explains all the technical details in detail to help me make a decision about the amp that best suits my needs?

Well there's the glossary sticky which may help you.

Explaining all the technical details is quite a daunting prospect. With regards to the Cantante, there is lots of great information about its design (ie the balanced ground) on the Meier website. Otherwise you might need to look at Wikipedia, or better yet some textbooks.

Quote:

5) Is there a list or a guide to the good amps on the market, similar to the headphone guide in the headphone forum?

Doesn't seem to be, except for a couple of (excellent) portable amp comparison threads.

Quote:

6) Is there a difference in quality when connecting a DAC through the USB instead of a S/PDIF?

Don't know, but I highly doubt it.

May 25, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the response.

How does the PCM2702 DAC compare to my M-Audio in terms of overall sound quality? I have no idea how to figure that one out.

I see that the current for the 2MOVE is 18mA max, compared to 250mA on the Arietta. Isn't that a huge difference? I've read that the Denons need a lot of current...

I'd love to get a good quality portable amp if possible, since I do a lot of my listening using a Creative Zen Mp3 player and my Super.Fi 5 Pros (which are a bit underpowered using it). The 2MOVE would make a good contender if it can properly drive the Denons, since it'll also help with both my portable player and the laptop/DAC issue.

May 25, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 7
Seems like the PCM2702 has a (much?) lower quality than the M-Audio's DAC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there any Amp/DAC that has a higher quality DAC than the M-Audio's ak4358 DAC that doesn't cost 500euroes and above?

May 26, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 7
Bump.

May 26, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 7
The Headamp Pico uses a WM8740 and uses a USB DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back