A Fantastic Performance of Mozart K331
Feb 11, 2009 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Computerpro3

1000+ Head-Fier
Yes, I know this is one of the more famous sonatas, but this is a completely unique performance that I believe deserves a listen. While not completely in the style of mozart (a bit romantic) Pogorelich is so incredibly talented that he just makes it his own. A bit slow for my taste in the first variation, but overall an incredibly moving performance.

YouTube - Ivo Pogorelich plays Mozart sonata K 331 A-dur

Could only find the 1st movement on youtube unfortunately, but I have the whole recording and it is spectacular.

Enjoy!

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I know this is one of the more famous sonatas, but this is a completely unique performance that I believe deserves a listen. While not completely in the style of mozart (a bit romantic) Pogorelich is so incredibly talented that he just makes it his own. A bit slow for my taste in the first variation, but overall an incredibly moving performance.

YouTube - Ivo Pogorelich plays Mozart sonata K 331 A-dur

Could only find the 1st movement on youtube unfortunately, but I have the whole recording and it is spectacular.

Enjoy!

Ah, the young Pogo -- before he lost his hair, and before he developed the annoying mannerisms that plague his performances nowadays. You can see and hear the mannerisms in their embryonic stage in the video -- a body gesture here, an overemphasized rubato there... but so much cleaner than what he's doing today. If only time could have stood still.

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 9
Agree with you OP - while not the most traditional performance, he definately does well in making it his own.

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, the young Pogo -- before he lost his hair, and before he developed the annoying mannerisms that plague his performances nowadays. You can see and hear the mannerisms in their embryonic stage in the video -- a body gesture here, an overemphasized rubato there... but so much cleaner than what he's doing today. If only time could have stood still.

I agree, it is shame how he is aging. Of course, a large part of that had to do with the death of his wife/early teacher. He largely receded from public after that.

Aside from his mozart (which I have mixed views on), I truly believe that his Scarlatti is some of the greatest Scarlatti ever recorded. Strangely, NONE of his strange rubato/temo changes/etc are present in his scarlatti.

Here's an example from when he was younger or scarlatti:

YouTube - Pogorelich plays Scarlatti 1/2

As someone who has studied that piece it blows me away what he is able to do with it. The clarity of each voice is astounding and his ornaments are simply perfect.

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 9
I studied that piece also for a short time. Talk about precision tone... WOW

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, it is shame how he is aging. Of course, a large part of that had to do with the death of his wife/early teacher. He largely receded from public after that.

Aside from his mozart (which I have mixed views on), I truly believe that his Scarlatti is some of the greatest Scarlatti ever recorded. Strangely, NONE of his strange rubato/temo changes/etc are present in his scarlatti.

Here's an example from when he was younger or scarlatti:

YouTube - Pogorelich plays Scarlatti 1/2

As someone who has studied that piece it blows me away what he is able to do with it. The clarity of each voice is astounding and his ornaments are simply perfect.

Have to agree! His Scarlatti is a much more fluent expression of his talent than his Mozart, which even early on showed quite a bit stylization. But, Mozart is almost completely bulletproof, and Pogo did get the loveliest colors from the keys. Perhaps a touch too much rubato in certain places, but really nothing to complain about. His latest concerts have been disasters, which is a real pity. One can only hope that eventually he will get his head straightened out. The world doesn't have enough talent of that magnitude to see it drowned in neurosis.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 9
THANK YOU for that Scarlatti link...wow, what a performance. I need to go digging to see which recordings of his I have...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back