A fairly specific question about the best audio quality music player.
Jan 8, 2008 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

RedSky0

1000+ Head-Fier
Okay so I've done a rough search but nothing really matches what I'm wondering about, so I'll pose my question:

What's the best sounding mp3 player out there? GB/$ isn't a factor, neither is screen size, interface, ergonomics or looks. Are there any flash players, or I guess smaller and cheaper players out there that compare or match the sound quality of the larger, more expensive, spacious hard drive players? Doesn't matter how you attain that sound quality, it may involve patching, installing custom firmware etc, I don't mind what it takes.

I know audio quality is subjective in terms of whether you want more bass or you want more clarity in the treble or a variety of other factors I can't begin to comprehend but overall is there any consensus on this kind of thing? Or is there anything that sounds best all around.

Oh and any feedback is greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 26
I also had a Creative Zen V+ that sounded very good. Then I purchased a used Cowon X5L, and the difference in sound IMO was significant. The X5L is really a fantastic player, with lots of power. But the sound signature is a bit bright, so it benefits from EQ'ing. The player comes with a number of "sound shaping" processes you can use to EQ. When you add the fantastic codec support, and Harddrive (20GB, 30GB, and 60GB flavors along with "L" which designates a longer battery life) this really seems to be one of the best DAPS that has ever been on the market. The key word is "ever", since it is no longer in production. But the aftermarket sales for these units are still active, so look around (Head-FI BST, Ebay, Audiogon...).

Good Luck in your search.

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 26
x2 on the Sony A8xx lineup. I also believe the Zune80 has a solid sound sig, but maybe that's because I own one. I also have the Creative ZVM, and to me, the Zune sounds better overall straight out of the headphone jack. When using an amp, the Zune also excels, even though the ZVM has the line out and the Zune does not.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 26
Sony again - either 808/818. The reviews pretty much speak for themselves. Sales have taken off since they became drag and drop - a very wise move for Sony.

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 26
Another vote for Sony. I have the Sony NWZ-A816 and the sound is incredible and well balanced. It also has a lot of sound altering features like a customizable equalizer and surround settings to suit your taste. One thing that impressed me as well is that it complements Sennheiser's sound signature. I have tested it on PX-100, HD-497 and MX-450 and all sounded great. You will be especially amazed with how it complements HD-497, I have never heard HD-497 open up with amazing soundstage and tonal balance.

Moreover, if you are into earphones exclusively then I would also recommend Meizu Miniplayer. Meizu is excellent with earphones. Even the $10 Sony Fontopias sounded fantastic.

Minusflo

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 26
If you can find them in your area, or don't mind doing some shopping around, the Cowon series of players is top notch in terms of sound quality. They have excellent equalizers and several sound-enhancing effects, if you're in to that sort of thing, and they play FLAC, which was the selling point for me. The D2 is a good video/music player, and the iAudio7 is better for just music (smaller).

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iMod + vCap owns, try a search.

x2

of course your talking $1500 later given interconnects, amp, etc... but it definitely owns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back