a diy SINGLE emu0404 audio cable
Jan 29, 2005 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

strogg

100+ Head-Fier
yeah. call this a mini-mini-how-to, or call it a stupid journal, or whatever. i've noticed an increase of people wondering what adapters/cables to get, and i figure this to be the final solution to those diy addicts out there:

connectordiagram.jpg

in case you can't understand it...
pin 1: nothing
2: right output
3: left output
4: left input
5: right input
6: right output ground
7: left output ground
8: left input ground
9: right input ground

progress0.jpg

progress1.jpg

cable in progress...

finished.jpg

done!

anyhow, the cable was a cat5e cable which split to a litz braid at the split point. the aux in jack was put in an awkward place, but it works. all i need is to use it for my tv card, so i'm happy. the db9 connector i picked up at radio shack. the rca connectors were from a diy cable i made years ago. i forgot who made them. unfortunately, i can't do an ab test to see which is better (stock + old diy vs new diy) since i kinda destroyed one of the cables
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 22
Looks good. I've been thinking of doing this for awhile but never got arround to it. I'm surprised Headphile, etc hasn't done one.

Jan 29, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 22
He already makes cables that are terminated for use wih the 0404/1212m (dual 1/4" mono->RCA), he might yet be interested in this even though it'd only work on the 0404.

I'll fire a link to this thread at Larry, maybe he can offer his input.

Jan 30, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 22
Here's the pinout of the digital connector. I can't find it on the web anywhere. I didn't include the midi interface because my multimeter probes can't reach the pins.

E-mu 0404 Digital Breakout Cable Pinout:
1-3: unused or midi
4: ground, coax out
5: signal, coax out
6: signal, coax in
7: white wire, optical interface
8: black wire, optical interface
9-12: unused or midi
13: ground, coax in
14: clear wire, optical interface
15: red wire, optical interface

Best I can tell, the optical interface uses the TI SN75179B Driver/Receiver. I'm going to trace the schematic, but I don't think that's something I can post.

I'm planning a breakout box with panel mounted jacks and would like to add a ST glass connection, 1/4" and 1/8" headphone jacks,etc My card is mounted in the bottom PCI slot, so it can be made to hang directly off the DIN connectors. If I ever get around to it that is.

Jan 30, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 22
this is looking very promising, i'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Looks good. I've been thinking of doing this for awhile but never got arround to it. I'm surprised Headphile, etc hasn't done one.

Two steps ahead.....
wink.gif

How's that for coincidence huh? Kinda spooks me out to be honest...

Jan 30, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
this is looking very promising, i'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

I got a reply from Larry, you might also want want to keep an eye on http://www.headphile.com/ too...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #8 of 22
Hopefully the cable won't cost as much as the card.... because as an investment and resale value, an RCA-RCA cable makes more sense. I guess if you're into the 0404 long term it's ok.

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 22
well done, strogg. that's exactly the solution i spoke of in vague words in december. fidaudio.com/fiddler - the cable-manufacturer i asked to build this one - had to pass through some delays, he's not responsible for, so the formerly announced release of a custom breakout cable ("middle of january") was delayed a few days. but i'm sure, he will make his emu-addons available in february...
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #11 of 22
looking forward to some impressions of that thing. would love to do away with the stock breakout cables.

Feb 3, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #12 of 22
Here's a quick schematic I threw together after tracing the circuit. I don't know capacitor or inductor values. Best I can tell, U1 is Texas Instruments SN75179B. JP1 is marked RX179S and JP2 is TX179S. I can't find a data sheet so I assumed that the square pad is pin1 and proceeds linearly with the pin numbers from there. I can find reference to a Ceramate Technical Co TX179AS Optical Transmitter but their logo doesn't really look like the one printed on the device housing. My above post has the DIN pin numbers corresponding to the color wires. No guarantees, but I'm pretty sure this is accurate:

emu0404_optical.jpg

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 22
well, the connector itself is 276-1427. the cover for the connector is 276-1513, but i would have gotten 276-1508 if they had it in stock. well, doesn't matter for me, since it was a mini-project with a budget of $0 (i got a rat shack gift card for my birthday)

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 22
Question. If I were to use a 3,5mm plug, would a 3-conductor cable work? Can I just solder the same ground wire to both outputs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back