a diy for the bored troublemakers
Dec 1, 2006 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

elmer_dudd

100+ Head-Fier
how about a diy megaphone? has anyone ever tried this?
i get so pissed off when i'm stuck in traffic and i see the jerk wad in the car next to me talking trash to me through his car window, and then when i roll my window down he looks away and pretends to not notice it. i want to make a portable megaphone that will allow me to have my voice heard, no matter if he pretends to ignore me or not. i want to comment on his lovely flower car seats, or perhaps the chrome hub caps he is sporting before he pretends to forget i ever made notice of him with my usual laughter and evil grins.
the *only* solution i can come up with is a megaphone, and i'm a die-hard diy'er (meaning that i'll die before i spend my cold hard earned cash on something that i really don't need, but can probably fudge a substitute)
i figure a simple op amp may be enough with an insanely tight canister speaker design, but i'll need something hi-power (hi-gain/current possibly?)
quality isn't an issue, but i'd sure like them to know i said "F- YOU" rather than "THANK YOU"

is this stupid?
have i gone completely bananas?
should i be locked up in a little white room rather than free to roam the roads with these derelict and dangerous thoughts running through my mind?

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 12
What you want is one of these..............................

Preparingforparade2.jpg

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 12
Personally, I think one hundred watts would be even better. Why not have your god-like voice clearly cutting through the crap they are likely listening to? I would suggest a VW with the new guitar-enabled sound system and plug a microphone in.

But that's not DIY (unless the VW is a 1965 Beetle...) I think nikon is on to something, because I had no idea those things coud ever be found! Sweet! My suggestion would be to shop online at some surplus sales place, find a flaky old unit and hot rod it. I'll give you bonus points if you can use tubes.

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 12
call that a megaphone??
This is a megaphone:

Blues-Brothers-Car-Picture.jpg

Dec 3, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 12
I have a high quality professional megaphone. It produces 25 WATTS RMS and is loud as hell!!! It runs on 8 C tipe batteries.

THe transistors used are some sort of to-3 metal package.

~If you intend to use it only in the car, you could run it off the 12v battery and save some money.

That said, I don't think it is such a good idea to use a megaphone for such purposes. It doesn't sound as a very reasonable thing to do...

Dec 5, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer_dudd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i get so pissed off when i'm stuck in traffic and i see the jerk wad in the car next to me talking trash to me through his car window, and then when i roll my window down he looks away and pretends to not notice it. i want to make a portable megaphone that will allow me to have my voice heard, no matter if he pretends to ignore me or not.

If the jerk wad is next to you (not behind or in front), then why is he talking trash to you? No reason at all? Just curious. And if you can hear him talking trash to you, he ought to be able to hear your reply as well, with or without the window. Is there more to the story?

Quote:

quality isn't an issue, but i'd sure like them to know i said "F- YOU" rather than "THANK YOU"

I have a feeling that if he really is talking trash to you, then he can safely assume you are not saying "THANK YOU" in response. Maybe if you really did say "THANK YOU", it would infuriate him further for thinking that YOU did not hear HIM correctly.

Quote:

is this stupid?
have i gone completely bananas?

If you are wondering if this is true already, then chances are, it is. Go with your gut feeling!
wink.gif

Seriously though, I get hassled by so-called idiots in traffic once in a while, but not often, so I write it off. If it was happening to me on a routine basis, then I'd examine the possibility that I am doing something to potentially provoke such a common response.

I'm not trying to harrass you, I'm just curious as to what's going on here in the bigger picture. Maybe people just out to get you because you have impeccable taste in headphones?
icon10.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 12
You know, instead of spending money on a megaphone, you could always use the "New Jersey salute" (read: middle finger).

Dec 5, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_bob_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
call that a megaphone??
This is a megaphone:

Blues-Brothers-Car-Picture.jpg

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
that is exactly what i am looking for!!!!!

Quote:

If the jerk wad is next to you (not behind or in front), then why is he talking trash to you? No reason at all? Just curious. And if you can hear him talking trash to you, he ought to be able to hear your reply as well, with or without the window. Is there more to the story?

i have the unfortunate ability to read lips. it wouldn't be as unfortunate if i didn't have such a hasty habit of pissing people off for my own amusement, and facing the repercussions shortly thereafter.
frown.gif

Quote:

I have a feeling that if he really is talking trash to you, then he can safely assume you are not saying "THANK YOU" in response. Maybe if you really did say "THANK YOU", it would infuriate him further for thinking that YOU did not hear HIM correctly.

enh, i've tried that approach before. i like to get things off of my chest, my psychiatrist doesn't think it's a good idea for me to bury my true feelings deep down inside and deny them the joy of sunshine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I'm not trying to harrass you, I'm just curious as to what's going on here in the bigger picture. Maybe people just out to get you because you have impeccable taste in headphones?

YES!! they are kinda crappy though
smily_headphones1.gif

they are keeping my ears warm so far!!

MASantos!! thank you for the suggestion, i hadn't even considered the 12v outlet from the cigarette lighter! so does the to-3 metal package suggestion mean that i won't need an opamp?

ill probably won't use it too menacingly, mostly just to peeve people off that i've already peeved off (accidentally)
so mostly if i see someone turning red in the face and screaming with closed windows, i'll just point it out the window and say "huh? you should get one of these things man, i can't hear a word you're saying!"

Dec 5, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris111688 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, instead of spending money on a megaphone, you could always use the "New Jersey salute" (read: middle finger).

i need something new and exciting-- the "new jersey salute" is like an everyday thing for me. i was driving without my headlights the other day and some person started hassling me about it. first instinct was to flip him the bird as soon as he opened his mouth, and then i realized my lights were off so of course i thanked him with the other hand
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back