A dilemma between phones and source
Sep 4, 2007 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

outmatch

100+ Head-Fier
For some time I'm quite happy with the HD595. But after I had a chance to listen to HD 650 with Grace M902, Upgraditis got the best of me. Right now I'm using HD595 with an X-Fi XtremeMusic card. I'm wondering which should be my next upgrade. Having analyzed the advantages of both from my subjective view, I would like you to help me decide.

1.Denon D5000
- Closed (I'm having a little problem with noise, ny house is adjacent to the road. And the notorious traffic in BKK, you know -_-")
- Improvement in SQ
- Could grab it in 4-5 months (I'm just a university student, so my budget is quite tight.)
- My HD595 could be sold before the price should drop further (if I decide to buy Stello, I guess the price should drop at least 30USD or more before I save enough to get a Denon)

2.Stello DA100
- Improvement in SQ (I guess this should be a huge leap, since my source now is quite crappy)
- Could fix my weakest link (I have no proper DAC right now)
- Might be some time before I have enough money (Maybe 9-12 months)

I listen mostly to Jazz, Classical, Vocal and a bit of Rock and Pop.

Sep 4, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 4
If those are your only two possible candidates, my vote lay with the Denon's. The DA100 would make your sound card obsolete, because it requires USB input.

Outside of these two choices, I'd recommend either a.) replacing your source with one that has digital out and running that through the DA100, or b.) purchasing a good amp to run the X-Fi's line-out to.

Because the HD595's are low impedance cans, they don't require tremendous power from an amp so that would probably be the cheapest/most cost-effective option.

Edit -- I'm oblivious. I didn't notice that you already had an amp... hmm... yes, my vote is still unchanged though =)

Sep 4, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks Alexander1,

The X-Fi actually has a digital out. But I forgot to mention that I will probably sell my X-Fi if I have a chance to get the Stello. And the price should not drop significantly (I have it with me for 2 years now, and sound card price drop very slow when compared to headphones.)

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 4
If you're using your computer as a source exclusively you might consider the upcoming Pico portable DAC/Amp combo from HeadAmp. Check out this thread for more info on it. I believe it would be a cheaper solution than the Stello plus it apparently has a very good amp as well so might allow you to sell your current amplifier for more income to put towards the D5000's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back